- Product: Alma
What are the steps of composing and implementing a Normalization Rule?
Answer for Old MD Editor
- Go to: Resources > Cataloging > Open Metadata Editor > File > New > Normalization Rule
- To work with an existing normalization rule: Resources > Cataloging > Open Metadata Editor, select the Rules tab and expand the Normalization rules folder to display the saved rule files.Compose a rule with the help of the examples document titled 'Rules - Normalization rule examples.docx' at: Presentations and Documents - Rules. Also see Normalization Rule Syntax.
- Test the rule on a record by opening the record in MD Editor.
- Go to Edit > Split Editor.
- Edit the desired rule from Rules tab.
- Select Preview to see the effect of the rule on the record.
- 'Apply Changes' or go 'Back to normalization rules.
- Create a Normalization Process: Configuration Menu > Resources > Cataloging > Metadata Configuration. Select one of the profile links such as MARC21 Bibliographic.
- Add Process, and complete the Process Details wizard steps. Add a Task and select the MarcDroolNormalization process from the Process list.
- Run the MARC21 Bib normalization job on a set of titles.
Answer for New MD Editor
Note: This will be available in the March 2021 release
- Go to Resources > Cataloging > Open Metadata Editor > verify you're using the New MD Editor
- On the Left side of screen click on Rules tab > New > Normalization
- To work with existing Normalization Rules:
- Open MD Editor > Rules Tab > inside the Left panel you can view existing rules under Private, Shared, or Community
- Test the rule on a record:
- In Records Tab open the record you want to test on
- Select the split screen icon located in the Left panel
- Go to Rules tab
- Click on Rule. This will cause the rule to show up in the split screen
- Click Preview. The rule will be replaced by the Normalization rules preview.
- Either click 'Back to normalization rules' or 'Apply changes' located at the bottom of the Normalization rules preview side
- Create a Normalization Process:
- Configuration Menu > Resources > Cataloging > Metadata Configuration
- Select one of the profile links, for example: MARC21 Bibliographic
- Click on Normalization Processes tab
- Click Add Process and complete the Process Details wizard steps
- Add a Task Step > click Add Tasks > Select the MarcDroolNormalization process from the Process list > Add and Close
- Task Parameters Step > choose Author Number Generation Routine from drop-down menu
- Click Save
- Run the MARC21 Bib normalization job on a set of titles
- Article last edited: 13-Jan-2021