- Product: Summon
How do I configure the Database Recommender settings within the Summon service?
This is part of a larger set of documentation about using the Administration Console to configure your Summon service.
The Database Recommender page in the Administration Console is where you can customize the resources that can be suggested to end users, via the Summon recommendation feature, for furthering one's research.
The main screen shows the databases that your library has set to a status of "Subscribed" in Intota or the Client Center and are also checked off to "Display in Summon".
The Database Recommender will not recommend resources that are not shown as subscribed in your profile. If you need to add databases to your profile, click here for instructions. In addition, be sure that the "Display in Summon" checkbox is selected.
By default, all resources are turned on as candidates for recommendation; to hide a resource from the recommendation service de-select the Active checkbox.
- Note that de-selecting the Active checkbox will hide a resource from the two primary triggers described in the Recommendation overview article. The third trigger (algorithm that analyzes the search results set) is a less influential trigger that does always consider all of your resources, including databases that have the Active checkbox de-selected.
The right side of the page displays the DBID (Database ID from our Knowledgebase) and the provider. Locate a particular resource by using the search box above the list of databases, or scroll through your list of databases by using the page navigation links at the bottom of the page.
Click on Edit for a particular database and options will display for customizing the recommendation functionality of a database:
- Use the Tags section to create search terms/keywords that you want to trigger this database recommendation. A resource can have as many tags as you would like.
- Use the Community Tags section to hide any search terms/keywords that two or more libraries are currently using as triggers. Click on Block to hide a community tag.
- The resource Description will be included with the database recommendation appearing on the Summon results page. Summon includes default descriptions for most databases. You may customize these in the Database Details screen in the Client Center or Intota by entering your own description text in the "Custom Database Description" field (Client Center) / "Database Description" field (Intota). Click here for further details about the Client Center's Database Details page, click here for Intota.
Database Recommender customizations take effect within five minutes.
Related to the Database Recommender is the Best Bets feature, which allows you to create recommended resources that expand beyond databases in your collection.
- Only one Best Bet will appear at a time. Please keep this in mind when tagging them.
- The default number of database recommendations is two.
- The Best Bet does not take up a database recommendation slot. For example, you can have one Best Bet and two database recommendations display at the same time.
- Date Created: 9-Feb-2014
- Last Edited Date: 15-Dec-2016
- Old Article Number: 8750