Batch Suppress Bib Records
- Article Type: General
- Product: Voyager
- Product Version: 8.2.2
How to suppress a large set of bib records in the database?
Voyager 9.0.0 and higher, GDC can batch suppress and unsuppress records (preferred workflow):
- Create a Record Set of all records to be suppressed. See Options for creating Record Sets? for available methods.
- Create a Data Change Rule Set to (for example)
- Condition: MARC Control Field Exists / LDR
- Consequence: Record Disposition / Suppress
- Save Data Change Rule Set to Data Change Rule Set Group.
- Submit Data Change Job with record set from step 1 and Data Change Rule Set Group from step 3.
- When suppressing and unsuppressing records you do not need to turn keyword indexing on, nor do you need to run a regen after the job. This is because the record's metadata are changed, not the MARC record itself.
Always test any data change on a small subset of records and use the GDC Preview functions prior to committing any changes to the database.
In versions earlier than 9.0.0, Bulk Import can be used:
- Use MarcExport to create the record file.
- In System Administration > Cataloging > Bulk Import Rules, create a rule with "Batch Opac Suppress" checked in the Rules tab.
- In the new Bulk Import Rule, specify a Bibliographic Duplicate Detection profile that matches on BIB_ID (BBID) and is set to Replace.
- Run a BulkImport with the new Bulk Import Rule to match & suppress the records in the file you created with MarcExport
Pick and Scan can also be used to batch suppress and unsuppress Bibs and Holdings records. See What changes can Pick and Scan make?
Voyager Technical User's Guide chapters on Bulk Export of MARC Records and Bulk Import of MARC Records for details on MarcExport and BulkImport processes.
- Article last edited: 07-Jan-2020