- General System Administrator
- Read this page in its entirety for important information regarding actions required for both Alma and Ebook Central.
- Do not activate your Ebook Central integration profile in Alma until you have confirmed with ProQuest Support that your account was activated and Ebook Central files have begun publishing to Alma. If the Alma Ebook Central integration profile is activated and scheduled before ProQuest has started to publish the relevant files, the job will fail. See Creating an Ebook Central Integration Profile for more information.
- It is recommended that you test this capability in your sandbox prior to implementing it in your production environment.
- In the sandbox environment, other integrations involving FTP are disabled by default. You can enable specific FTP addresses for communication by entering FTP host names/IP addresses in the FTP Include List mapping table (see Configuring Allowed S/FTP Connections During Testing). This enables the testing of FTP-related integrations with third-party systems. (This is not required on production environments.)
Specific to the sandbox environment, you need to allow access to the FTP where ProQuest delivers the feed files. Go to Configuration > General > External Systems > Allowed S/FTP connections, add a row with the following FTP information and select Save:
Note that the holdings are from ftp.ebrary.com.
- ftp.ebrary.com / ftp.ebrary.com
- For institutions in production that have configured entries in the FTP Include List mapping table (Configuration > General > External Systems > Allowed S/FTP connections), you must also add a row with ftp.ebrary.com / ftp.ebrary.com. Note that the Allowed S/FTP connections configuration only applies to a production environment during your Alma testload. After your Go Live cutover, this is no longer used or needed.
Working with the Alma Ebook Central Integration
- The ProQuest Books division maintains an electronic collection named Ebook Central Perpetual and DDA Titles that is published to Alma’s Community Zone and gets updated weekly.
- After you have created an Alma Ebook Central integration profile that is set to Active and scheduled to run, no additional action is required to maintain the content of the Ebook Central Perpetual and DDA Titles collection. Maintenance of this collection is handled for you automatically by the integration job on a weekly basis.
- The ProQuest Books division weekly updates occur on Wednesday. In Alma, scheduling options are available for every day of the week (see Schedule).
- As communicated by ProQuest Ebook Central, Alma updates the locally activated Ebook Central Perpetual and DDA Titles electronic collection to include the portfolios that match the electronic resources available to you. This process may include adding new portfolios or deleting portfolios.
The activated portfolios of the PDA/DDA program are associated with the Alma PDA profile called ProQuest Ebook Central-PDA. This allows you to identify titles that are part of the PDA/DDA program for analytical purposes (unless the Alma PDA profile is manually deleted).The Alma PDA profile (ProQuest Ebook Central-PDA) is automatically created as a part of the Ebook Central Integration Profile. See Creating an Ebook Central Integration Profile for more infromation.Note that after the Alma PDA profile is created, the associated PDA repository import profile is not used. Its status is set to inactive.
- As part of the ProQuest Ebook Central automatic upload of electronic holdings, a technical PO line is created for titles that were purchased as part of the DDA program with the following basic details:
- Type: Electronic Book - One Time
- Vendor: As defined in the Upload Electronic Holdings profile
- Owner: as defined on the Upload Electronic Holdings profile
- Material Type: Book
- When you choose to no longer participate in the Alma Ebook Central program, the feeds are no longer sent to Alma and the portfolios are deleted from the Ebook Central Perpetual and DDA Titles collection. Since the ProQuest Books division will block access to the portfolios that have not been purchased when you leave the PDA/DDA Ebook Central program, deleting those portfolios in Alma prevents patrons from encountering dead-end links.
Creating an Ebook Central Integration Profile
- Open the Integration Profile List page (Configuration Menu > General > External Systems > Integration Profiles).
- Select Add Integration Profile.
- For the Integration Type parameter, select Upload Electronic Holdings from the drop-down list.
For the Vendor parameter, select ProQuest Ebook Central from the drop-down list.Only one ProQuest Ebook Central integration profile may be created.
- Optionally, enter a description and select Next.
Complete the details in the Upload Electronic Holdings section using the information provided by the ProQuest Books division for the trial and referencing the table below.ProQuest Ebook Central Integration Profile Wizard Step 2
Upload Electronic Holdings Section Parameter Description
Select Active to make this an active profile. The default setting is Inactive.
Do not activate your Ebook Central integration profile in Alma until you have confirmed with ProQuest Support that your account was activated and Ebook Central files have begun publishing to Alma. If the Alma Ebook Central integration profile is activated and scheduled before ProQuest has started to publish the relevant files, the job will fail.
Ebook Central site ID
Enter the Ebook Central site identifier (siteID) provided by the ProQuest Books division.
Your siteID can be located in your LibCentral or Ebook Central URLs. See the following URL formats:
- From the librarian interface LibCentral: https://EBOOKCENTRALSITEID.ebookcentral.proquest.com/libcentral
- From the patron interface: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/EBOOKCENTRALSITEID
For universities with multiple Institution Zones, each institution can use the same siteID in its integration profile.
Note that the siteID is not case sensitive.
After you save this profile, the system automatically enters the ProQuest Ebook Central-PDA value for this parameter.PDA Code
This PDA code is used to identify the portfolios that are part of the Ebook Central PDA/DDA program.
VendorSelect the ProQuest vendor option from the browse list of available vendors.
PO line owner Select the organization unit (such as Main Library) from the browse list of available units. This identifies the owner of the purchase order lines for those titles that will be purchased as part of the PDA/DDA program.
Date of last processed filesThe date that appears for this parameter is pulled from the vendor file name of the last processed file from the run of the ProQuest Ebook Central integration profile job. For example, 17/10/2018 would appear for Date of last processed files if the following files were processed: DDAPurchaseCollection_OWNED_HOLDINGS_uni_2018-10-15.txt, DDAPurchaseCollection_DDA_HOLDINGS_uni_2018-10-16.txt, EbookCentral_Customers_HOLDINGS_2018-10-17.txt.This date is used when the job starts to verify that the files on the FTP server are newer (according to the date stamped in their name) than the date of this field. If the files on the FTP server are not newer than the date for this parameter, the job will not run.
New for November!
Use this parameter to select one or more groups from the list of options in the drop-down list for distributed access to electronic resources.
The Group parameter appears when you have the multi_campus_inventory_management customer parameter set to true. When the multi_campus_inventory_management customer parameter set to true and you use the Group parameter, you can create multiple ProQuest Ebook Central integration profiles.
The upload holdings job will run for the group or groups that you specify in the ProQuest Ebook Central integration profile with the Group parameter.
After you have created one active ProQuest Ebook Central integration profile with one or more distributed access to electronic resources selections made for the Group parameter, each additional active ProQuest Ebook Central integration profile that you create must have one or more distributed access to electronic resources selections made for the Group parameter. You cannot leave the Group parameter blank for any additional ProQuest Ebook Central integration profile that you designate as Active.
The first active ProQuest Ebook Central integration profile that you create using the Group parameter determines the values that must be set for the following profile parameters in subsequent active profiles that you create:
- PO line owner
ScheduleNote that for subsequent active profiles that are created, you need to leave the Schedule parameter set to Not Scheduled. All jobs that are run based on the subsequent active profiles that are created are run using the schedule specified in the first active group profile that you saved.
When you obtain multiple ProQuest Ebook Central site IDs from ProQuest, you may use those when create multiple integration profiles.
When the integration profile job is run and distributed access to electronic resources group information is configured, the distributed access to electronic resources group information appears in the job report.
Note that if you leave the Group parameter blank for the first active ProQuest Ebook Central integration profile that you create, the system assumes that you are creating the profile as an institution-wide vs. group-based integration profile and will not let you create any additional active profiles. Only when you use the Group parameter can you create multiple ProQuest Ebook Central integration profiles.See the explanation for Active.Select a scheduling option from the drop-down list to have this integration profile run automatically. Options are available for every day of the week (Sunday through Saturday). Optionally, you may choose to run the integration profile manually by selecting the Save and Run Now button.After you save this profile, you may use the Save and Run Now button (located on the Actions tab of the saved profile) to run the job manually by selecting Edit in the row actions list of the ProQuest Ebook Central profile on the Integration Profile List page.When you select Save and Run Now, the date is ignored from the Date of last processed files parameter, the job for the ProQuest Ebook Central integration profile is run, and the files that currently exist on the FTP server are processed by skipping the validation against the date for the Date of last processed files parameter.If the electronic collection specified for the trial is not yet activated in the Community Zone, the job will not run when you use the Save and Run Now button.
Save the profile using one of the following options:
- Select Save. The integration profile is scheduled and appears in the list of scheduled jobs (see Viewing All Scheduled Jobs).
- Select Save and Run Now. This saves your profile settings and immediately queues the upload to run. The Save and Run Now button also appears on the Actions tab when you edit the profile.
Note that there may be cases when the job runs successfully, but no changes are made in Alma. This is because the holdings file provided by ProQuest which is used as input for the job is provided on a weekly basis. Therefore, if the job already ran and then runs again before a new file was provided by ProQuest, no changes are made. This does not mean that the job did not complete successfully but, rather, that no new changes were provided since the last run.
Viewing the Job Report
- Activated portfolios assigned with PDA
This is a list of the portfolios from the DDA file.Activated Portfolios Assigned with PDA
- Activated portfolios with new PO line
This list provides a mapping of the portfolios and the PO lines created for them.Activated Portfolios with New PO Line
Viewing Purchase Order Information
- Complete a search for the electronic portfolio whose purchase order information you want to view.
- From the search results page, select the option to edit the portfolio.
On the Electronic Portfolio Editor page, select the Acquisition Information tab. The technical PO line information appears on this tab.Acquisition Information Tab in the Electronic Portfolio Editor
Preserving Previous Ebook Central Acquisition Details
If prior to the use of Upload Electronic Holdings from ProQuest Ebook Central you have managed Ebook Central titles in different Community Zone electronic collections and you want to preserve the acquisition details associated with those titles (such as PO lines and licenses), you can use the Move electronic portfolio information job to move PO lines and licenses to the new electronic collection Ebook Central Perpetual and DDA Titles.
- Create a set of the content type electronic collections that includes the previous electronic collections in which you managed the Ebook Central titles.
- Open the Run a Job - Select Job to Run page (Admin > Manage Jobs and Sets > Run a Job), and search for the Move electronic portfolio information job.
- Select this job and click Next.
- Select the set that you have created above and click Next.
- For Target electronic collection, select the collection Ebook Central Perpetual and DDA Titles.
- Select Move PO lines and Move licenses and complete the required information as needed.
- Select Next and review/confirm the job summary information.
- Select Submit.