To configure work order types, you must have the following role:
- General System Administrator
A work order is an internal library request to route physical materials to a specific department for internal processing. A work order sends an item to a department (marking it as not available on the shelf), where it can be managed according to internal statuses. Departments and statuses can be configured according to a library’s local needs.
A work order type indicates the type of library process to be carried out on a resource, such as binding or cataloging. Each department in your library is assigned to handle a specific work order type.
Each work order type has a list of statuses that can be assigned to work orders of that type. For example, a work order of type "binding" could have statuses "gluing", "sewing", and so forth, while a work order of type "digitization" could have statuses "digitizing", "document delivery", and so forth.
You configure work order types on the Work Order Types page (Configuration Menu > General > Work Orders and Departments > Work Order Types).
Work Order Types Page
Work orders can be initiated by placing a request on the item or from the List of Items page (see Working with the List of Items).
The following actions can be performed on the Work Order Types page:
- Add a work order type (see Adding a Work Order Type)
- Add, edit, or delete departments (see Adding a Department)
- Add or remove statuses from a work order type (Manage Statuses in the row actions list).
- Edit a work order type (Edit in the row actions list).
- Delete a work order type (Remove in the row actions list).
Once you have created a work order type, you can configure one or more of the following:
Having work order types configured enables you to monitor physical items with work requests and identify their processing status (see Managing Requests and Work Orders).
For more information on Alma work orders, see the Fulfillment - Conservation Laboratory Work Orders document.
After creating a work order type, you can specify which departments and statuses are associated with the work order type. For details, see Configuring Departments and Adding a Work Order Type Status.
To add a work order type:
- On the Work Order Types page (Configuration Menu > General > Work Orders and Departments > Work Order Types), click Add Work Order Type.
- Enter/select the following:
- Work order type code
- Work order type name
- Recall Loans – Loans of this type of work order require an item to be returned more quickly. Selecting this causes a recall request (Lending Recall Email Letter) to be sent to the patron that borrowed the item. To configure the letter, see Configuring Alma Letters.
- Click Add Work Order Type.
Work order type statuses enable you to define processing stages for work orders that you can use to monitor the progress of a work order request. For details regarding monitoring requests in Alma, see Managing Requests and Work Orders.
The work order type status definition/configuration is associated with a specific work order type that you have previously configured and saved that displays on the Work Order Types page. A work order type must have at least one status with which it is associated.
To add a work order type status:
- On the Work Order Types page (Configuration Menu > General > Work Orders and Departments > Work Order Types), select Manage Statuses in the row actions list for a specific work order type. The Work Order Type Statuses page appears.
Work Order Type Statuses Page
- On the Work Order Type Statuses page, click Add Status.
- Enter the code, name, and description for the status that you are creating and click Add Status. The status is added to the Work Order Type Statuses page.
To configure departments, you must have the following role:
- General System Administrator
A department is an area of a library that handles a work order, such as receiving purchased material or binding and fixing worn items. Operators can be associated with a specific department, and certain activities can be configured to be performed only at specific departments. You configure departments on the Department List page (Configuration Menu > General > Work Orders and Departments > Work Order Departments).
For digitization departments, see Configuring Digitization Departments.
Department List Page
You can perform the following actions on this page:
- Add a department (see Adding a Department)
- Edit a department (Edit in the row actions list)
- Delete a department (Delete in the row actions list)
To add a department:
- Access the Department List page in one of the following ways:
- Select Manage Departments in the row actions list for a specific work order type/row on the Work Order Types page ()
- Navigate to Configuration Menu > General > Work Orders and Departments > Work Order Departments
- Click Add Department.
- If you accessed the page from the Work Order Departments link, select the work order type to be associated with the department (to define these types, see Configuring Work Order Types). Otherwise, the type is pre-selected.
The General Information page opens. This is the first page of the Add Department wizard.General Information Page
- Enter the general information details for the department that you are creating using the descriptions in the table below.
Department – General Information Fields Field Description Code A unique code Name A unique name that you want to display in the drop-down list for Target Destination when you create a work order (see Creating a Work Order Request) Description A description Work Time (days) The number of days used to calculate the Expiration Date that appears on the Resource Request Monitoring page for the item being processed. If the field is left blank or set to 0, a default of 7 days is used.For details see Managing Requests and Work Orders. Map The URL of a map to assist patrons in finding the department. Printer The printer that is associated with the department. The department prints all non-automated print jobs on this printer.
- Click Next. The Served Libraries page opens.
Served Libraries PageWhen configuring a department for an institution, the department applies to all of the institution’s libraries.Configuring Served Libraries is not relevant when working on the institution level; continue with step 7.
- Click Attach Library, select the library, and click Attach. The library is attached. Repeat as required.
- Click Next. The Contact Information page opens.
Contact Information Page
- Enter the address (primary, queries, or shipping), phone number, or email information for the department that you are creating. The fields are the same as when Configuring Institution/Library Contact Information.
- Click Next. The Operators page opens.
- To add operators, click Add Operator.
- Select the Alma user that you want to add. Click Add Operator. Repeat for each operator that you want to add.
The specified operators receives the Work Order Operator role for the department. If no operators are specified at this time, they can be assigned the role in User Management (see Managing User Roles).
- Click Save. The department is added to the Department List.
Departments that are managed by a circulation desk are indicated by the slider in the Managed by Circulation Desk column. For details on defining a circulation desk as a department, see Adding a Circulation Desk.