External System Search when Using a Network Zone
In a collaborative network, the external system search resources that a member institution can access depend on:
- How the collaborative environment is configured for saving records
- The search external resource setup (see Configuring External Search Resources)
- The configuration of the external search profiles (Configuring External Search Profiles)
These settings and configurations can be set in the member institutions and/or the Network Zone. For member institutions where Placement of new records and templates is set to the Network Zone and central_record_management is set to ENFORCE_NETWORK or DEFAULT_NETWORK (see Selecting Where to Create New Bibliographic Records), the external system search for members must be configured in the Network Zone. See External System Search for more information about configuring external resources.
Where the external resource is saved determines which external search resources are available to the user.
- When Placement of new records and templates is set to the Network Zone, the list of available external search resources reflects those that are enabled at the network level.
- When Placement of new records and templates is set to the Institution Zone, the list of available external search resources reflects those that are enabled at the institution level.
- In a side-by-side search, the placement of the opened record determines the list of available external search resources that are provided for the external search.
For other related information, see Searching External Resources.