Configuring Esploro Access Rights
You can configure the access rights for research assets on the Access Rights List (Esploro) page (Configuration Menu > Research > Access Rights and Licenses > Access Rights).
Access rights restrict patron access to specific research asset files. A researcher can apply an access rights policy to a specific file when submitting the asset, and an administrator can add, edit, or delete the access rights of an asset file.
- On the Access Rights List page, select Add Access Rights. The Access Rights Policy page appears.
Access Rights Policy Page
- Enter a name for the access rights policy (mandatory).
- Enter a description.
- Enter any relevant URI.
- In the Denied Note field, enter the default note you want to appear when access is denied.
- By default, a policy denies access to an asset. To define an asset matching rule for which access is granted, select Add Rule. The Access Rights Rule page appears. For more information about rules tables, see Rules Tables in the Alma documentation.
Access Rights Rule Page
- Enter a name (mandatory) and a description (optional) for the rule.
- Under Expressions, select Add Parameter and specify the components of the parameter (Name, Operator, and Value).
The available Name parameters includes the following:
- Affiliation – Access is permitted based on the researcher's affiliation.
- Closed For All – Access is permitted only for the researcher.
- DNS – Access is permitted only for the specified domain name. The value must contain a valid regular expression, for example: /.*google(bot)?\.com$/
- Embargo – Access is permitted only after the specified weeks, months, or years following the selected date, which is one of:
- Additional Publication Year
- Fixed Date
- MMS Creation Date
- Publication Year
- Representation Creation Date
- Embargo Fixed Date – Access is permitted only after the fixed date set on the research asset.
- Embargo Predefined – Access is permitted only after the selected length of time has passed after the research asset was published.
- IP Range – Access is permitted/denied based on the specified IP address or range of addresses. Select = or Not Equals and enter one of the following values.
- A single IPV4 address (such as: 22.214.171.124)
- An IP range, separated by a hyphen (such as: 126.96.36.199 - 188.8.131.52)
- Metadata Restricted – Access to the metadata is restricted.
- Registered – Access is permitted/denied based on whether the user is registered and authenticated (= True is the same as Not Equals False).
- Restricted For All – Access is permitted only to the researcher, unless a request to the access is approved by the researcher.
- User Group – Access is permitted/denied based on the specified user group. Select an operator and then (depending on the operator) select one or multiple user groups.
- User ID – Access is permitted/denied based on the primary user identifier. Select an operator and enter a matching ID or pattern.
- In Output, select whether users can view and/or download the asset.
- Select Add Parameter. The parameter is added to the list of parameters for the access rights rule.
- Repeat the previous steps to add all the required parameters for the rule.
All of the parameters must be fulfilled in order for the rule to be applied. If all of the parameters are not fulfilled, the default rule is applied.
- Select Save to save the rule.
- Repeat the steps for adding a rule to add all of the required rules to the policy.
If you define more than one rule, the order of the rules is important: only the first appropriate, enabled rule applies. If no appropriate rule is found, the default rule (Deny Access) applies.
- Select Save to save the policy.
Configuring Esploro Licenses
A researcher or administrator can associate a license to a research asset or to a specific file. Associating a license to a research asset or a file has no functional effect in Esploro, but the license is presented together with the asset and the file when it is viewed.
You configure licenses to associate to research assets and files on the Licenses (Esploro) page (Configuration Menu > Research > Access Rights and Licenses > Licenses).
You can add, view, activate/deactivate, edit, or delete licenses on this page.
- On the Licenses page, select Add a license. A page to enter the license information appears.
Enter License Information
- Enter a unique license code (mandatory).
- Enter a license name and description.
- If relevant, enter the URL for full license details.
- To present license information before someone can access the asset, select Display License Statement? and enter the text to display.
- Select the asset categories for which the license is applicable (mandatory). Select All to include all categories. Note that all licenses appear on the generic form.
- In Display this license in the researcher deposit forms, select whether a researcher can select this license when submitting an asset.
- When you are done, select Save.
Configuring Esploro Access Rights Labels
You can determine which label will be displayed for each access right, using the Esploro Access Rights Labels table (Configuration > Research > Access Rights and Licenses > Access Rights Labels). For more information about code tables, see Code Tables.
You can add, edit, or delete rows. When adding a row, enter the code, description and default value of the label.