What is it?
This toolkit is designed to provide you with best practices and resources to optimize linking in your Summon discovery layer.
Who should use this toolkit?
This toolkit is a good resource if you are running into one of the following challenges:
Linking to a specific content provider’s resources
Users are not being taken directly to an article, but end up on an intermediary page
Links are not working in general
Having issues with catalog/institutional repository links
When clicking through to a linking source, you are not receiving the linking source you expect
IEDL (Index Enhanced Direct Linking) - Uses provider-specific metadata to build links to content.
OpenURL - Uses resource-specific metadata to build links to content using OpenURL protocol.
Catalog - Uses library-specific metadata to build links to catalog content.
Institutional Repository - Uses repository-specific metadata to build links to Institutional Repository content.
If you would like more information on these linking types, please refer to the following articles:
Steps to Take if You Run Into Linking Issues
Collect Specific Examples & File a Support Ticket
You’ll want to collect 3 to 6 examples of specific linking challenges/issues with the following information:
- Results Metadata for the result causing the problem (title, author, dates, journal/book/resource, etc.)
- Summon URL for results page that lead to the linking error
- URL to provider article
- Screenshots of both the Summon results page and the user lands on when trying to access the item
- If requested by Support, a test login for your proxy server
Send your collected examples to Support by filing a ticket via the Support Portal, if you are having issues accessing the Support Portal AFTER attempting a password reset, email firstname.lastname@example.org
If it is a provider-specific linking issue check the following:
- If you have 360 Link, check your Link 2.0 settings
- If you’ve contacted the third-party provider, please provide Support with any information or feedback that the content provider gave you.
- If you have 360 Link, also check the list of IEDL Special Providers common providers who need a specific configuration include:
- Boom Juridische uitgevers
- Ebook Central
- Editions ENI
- Films Media Group
- Infobase Publishers, Inc.
- Infobase Publishers, Inc. - Films on Demand
- Jane's Information Group
- Naxos International (Far East)
- Nichigai Associates, Inc.
- Skillsoft Books
- Teton Data Systems Stat!Ref Database*
- Toyo Keizai, Inc.
For more information please refer to the following articles: