- Product: Summon
Where can I find the Summon service release notes from years past?
The below information pertains to releases from years past. For information on the most recent releases and status updates, see Summon: Release Notes.
December 12, 2013
- Google Analytics Google Analytics has now been added to Summon 2.0. If you already have Google Analytics configured in the Settings page in the Summon Administration console, there is nothing further that you need to do for this to be activated.
- Topic Explorer Gale Virtual Reference collection has been added to the Topic Explorer. To configure the prioritization of this source or to disable, please contact Client Support.
- Disciplines Disciplines in the Discipline facet are now translatable via the Translations page in the Summon Administration Console. Disciplines have currently been translated into Czech, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish. Additional languages are in progress.
- More Filters Sorting the filters alphabetically in the More Filters pane will now sort based on the translated phrase rather than the English phrase.
- Advanced Search When a user switches to Advanced Search, any terms in the basic search will be carried over.
- Preview Pane Call Number will now be included in the preview pane display on the right hand side of the screen.
- Preview Pane The Pages field will now be showing the correct data in the preview pane display on the right hand side of the screen.
November 22, 2013
- Publication Date Facet - The date picker within the Publication Date facet will now allow the user to type in either 1) a year, 2) a month and a year, or 3) a day, month, year combination. The date selector will also be localized to the user's language. The publication date slider has also been improved with clear indicators as to the number of items in a given year as the user adjusts the slider.
- "Add Results Beyond" Filter - A new option now appears in the Summon 2.0 user interface that allows the user to select the "Add results beyond your library's collection" filter from within the search results page.
- Summon API Healthcheck Service - We will be introducing a new service for the Summon API that can be used for running health check queries. This allows those who have built their own application using the Summon API to ping the service to ensure it is ready to answer queries. Further details will be found on the Summon API Documentation Center.
- Facet Whitelisting - The whitelisting capabilities of facet values will now work as expected in Summon 2.0. This applies to the Library Location facet and the Institution facet. Additionally, this applies to the Content Type facet to ensure that the option Book / eBook always appears when there are books in the search results.
- Related Topics - The related topics in the Topic Explorer will now have the correct word casing rather than always be in lowercase.
Newly Indexed Content
- National Library of Norway Press - idunn.no, a database of 49 leading academic journals for the Nordic region.
- Oxford University Press - This release includes an additional resource from the OUP, the Oxford Biblical Studies Online (http://www.oxfordbiblicalstudies.com/) collection.
- ProQuest Video Curation - ProQuest's new service for the curation of video has now been setup in the Summon index. This new service will supply metadata and transcription for archival video as well as online hosting for subscribing/participating universities. We have ingested records from 8 video collections for discovery in Summon in this initial effort.
- RMIT University - Informit - We have included 78 RMIT abstract and indexing databases pertaining to agriculture, Asian studies, business, education, engineering, health, history, the humanities, law, media, science, the social sciences and technology in Summon. RMIT Publishing is a leading provider of online research specializing in content from Australia, New Zealand and the Asia Pacific region. There are over 3,855,000 records between the active and archive packages.
- UTB GmbH - The German publisher UTB has included their collection of 900+ ebooks in the humanities (http://studium.utb.de/)
October 31, 2013
- Language Auto-detection Configuration With the new Summon 2.0 user interface, the user's language is automatically detected from the web browser's language preference settings. This is now a configurable setting so that it can be enabled or disabled to force a specific language.
- Language Selector When the user changes the language of the User Interface the topic explorer will also change language.
- Publication Date Slider The slider for the publication date facet will not allow the user to slide beyond its boundaries and it will accurately align with the graph.
Newly Indexed Content
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Journals This includes the scholarly journals from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Mybrary.ru - Mybrary.ru (http://www.mybrary.ru) markets 3 online collections: Law, Economics and Business (each consisting of approximately 600 books and/or journals) in Russia.
- NuriMedia - We have updated the data from NuriMedia, a Korean consortium, to have close to 1,500,000 records of book and journal content. This includes content from DBpia, KRpia, and BookRail.
October 11, 2013
- Page Loading Animation When a user changes a search, a page loading animation appears in order to provide a visual cue to the user to inform them that the search is processing.
- Chat Widget - The chat widget is available in Summon 2.0 with some user experience improvements.
- Summon Topics - Dutch, French, and Korean topics are on the list of supported languages.
- Logo The library logo in Summon 2.0 is linked to the URL defined in the Summon Administration Console.
- Custom Image Link - The custom image link is available in Summon 2.0.
- RefWorks Exporting - Saved citations in Summon 2.0 are able to be exported to RefWorks directly.
- Content Spotlighting - When clicking on the header and viewing scoped results, the content type will now be automatically checked.
- Configurable Facets Ordering Libraries can now configure the default order of facets for Summon 2.0.
Newly Indexed Content
- Longwoods Publishing - Longwoods publishes healthcare research, reports, reviews, commentaries and news from and for academics, scientists, clinicians, policymakers, administrators and pundits. All of Longwoods publications are a combination of free access (columns, editorials) and paid access (research).
- Schweizerbart/Borntraeger The collection of German Life Science journals from Schweizerbart Science Publishers and Borntraeger Science Publishers contains about 24 journals. Schweizerbart und Borntraeger are scholarly publishing houses. http://www.schweizerbart.de/
- thinkBiotech LLC We have indexed the Journal of Commercial Biotechnology (ISSN 1462-8732/1478-565X), thinkBiotech LLC Books (http://www.logos-press.com/books), Drug Patent Watch (http://DrugPatentWatch.com).
- Almanhal - They are the industry s only provider of full-text searchable electronic databases of peer-reviewed and copyright protected Arabic publications. We've indexed almost 10,600 records from eBook Collections in 10 main subject areas, Journal Collections (database with over 36 journals), eReports Collections (daily, weekly and monthly reports back to 2008), and eDissertations Database.
- Askew & Holts Contains academic and trade books of the VLe ebook platform for universities, colleges and schools, primarily in the UK. We have indexed almost 220,000 records.
- BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT - This is the entire eWIC collection of scholarly proceedings. (http://ewic.bcs.org/category/15362) Content is available for the eWIC series (ISSN 1477 9358) from 1995 to current.
- Bentham Science Books - We have added eBook metadata and abstracts to the index for almost 5000 records from Bentham Science.
- Bloomsbury Drama The Drama Online collection, an online resource for plays, critical analysis and performance, developed in partnership with Faber and Faber Ltd.
- Chadwyck Healey - LION Biographies.
- Federal Reserve Archive of Economic History (FRASER) - Provides access to the U.S. economic history particularly the history of the Federal Reserve System through digitization of documents related to the U.S. financial system. FRASER provides digital access to historic policy documents including publications of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the District Federal Reserve Banks, statements and speeches of Fed policymakers, archival materials of Fed policymakers and more. We have indexed over 85,000 records.
- GESIS-SOLIS - Key German social science resources SOLIS and SOFIS have been indexed in Summon. SOLIS has bibliographic records since 1945 with links to over 25,000 full text records (http://www.gesis.org/en/services/research/solis-social-science-literature-information-system/) and totals about 100,000 records.
- Lexxion Verlagsgesellschaft mBH We have indexed the full text of their entire offering of 12 journals in Summon. As a legal publishing company, Lexxion offers both professional journals and books closely related to legal practice.
- National Research Council of Canada - The NRC Archive is an online repository containing 53675 publication citations and providing access to 11511 full-text publications. (http://nparc.cisti-icist.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/npsi/ctrl?action=vwsts)
- Remedica Medical Education - A UK-based publisher of approximately 28 peer-reviewed journals for medical education.
- Wolters Kluwer Health - The entire journal offering of approximately 370 medical journals from Wolters Kluwer Health Medical Research/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins/Ovid Technologies have been indexed in Summon. Wolters Kluwer Health is a leading provider of information for professionals and students in medicine, nursing, allied health and pharmacy.
- Digital Library of Georgia - The gateway to Georgia's history and culture found in digitized books, manuscripts, photographs, government documents, newspapers, maps, audio, video, and other resources. The Digital Library of Georgia connects users to a million digital objects in more than 200 collections from 60 institutions and 100 government agencies. Based at the University of Georgia Libraries, the Digital Library of Georgia is an initiative of GALILEO, the state's virtual library. We have indexed over 167,625 metadata records. (http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu)
- National Library of Wales - The collection includes about 50 titles, complete runs of each title are included; the most recent issue available depends on the publisher, and vary from title to title. Occasional papers, Index volumes and Monographs are sometimes included. There are over 76,710 metadata records and over 57,000 full text records that have been indexed.
September 18, 2013
- Scoped Search Box and Widget Builder Summon Widgets are now available for the Summon 2.0 interface and all saved search boxes and previously created search boxes are now backward compatible for Summon 2.0 users.
- UI Customization features clients can customize the header and link colors on the Summon interface via the administrative console. The Summon 2.0 Customization section of the Settings page within the Support Center has details for how the customization features work.
- Contact Librarian In Summon 2.0, when a user finds 0 results, or the bottom of the scrolled page, they will be presented with some tips on improving their search. One of these options is contact a librarian. This link is now customizable in the Settings page of the Summon Administration console; the feature is listed under Summon 2.0 Configuration.
- Related Topics will display within the Summon Topic Explorer pane to link users to similar topics that are determined based on a relevance algorithm that will surface topical matches by leveraging search terms, reference trees, subject headings and encyclopedia "see also" lookups among other factors.
- Japanese, Spanish and Swedish Topics Summon Topics are now available in three new languages with over 40,000 topics in Swedish, over 45,000 topics in Spanish and over 40,000 topics in Japanese.
- Topic Language Mapping Topics will now be displayed in the Summon Topic Explorer based on the user's language but will find matches in any of the 6 languages available (English, Chinese, German, Japanese, Spanish and Swedish).
- Summon API The CorporateAuthor field is now available as a facet in the Summon Search API.
- Summon 2.0: Results Sorting Allow users to change the sorting of the results from relevance to publication date
- Summon 2.0: Clear Filters link Allows user to clear filters for options selected under Refine Your Search
- Summon 2.0: Saved Items Email When a user sends an email from the Saved Items feature, there is now on-screen confirmation that the email has been sent.
- Summon 2.0: Multi-word topic matching In some cases, a multi-word topic would return the wrong entry. For example, a search for University of * always returned an entry for the University of Oxford
- Summon 2.0: Authentication Banner Raw HTML is showing in the Authentication Banner in Summon 2.0 for those who have added HTML formatting.
- Summon 2.0: Web of Science Citation Counts The styling for the Web of Science citations counts was missing from Summon 2.0
- Z39.50 Availability Some records that were not available, were showing as available when using the Z39.50 Availability service
Newly Indexed Content
- Oxford University Press - We have added Oxford Islamic Studies Online (http://www.oxfordislamicstudies.com/) to the Oxford University Press collection
- Philosophy Documentation Center - The Philosophy Documentation Center hosts a large collection of scholarly resources for philosophy, applied ethics, religious studies, classics, and related disciplines including essential reference materials, peer-reviewed journals, book series, and conference proceedings. The collection includes over 120 publications
- Agence Bibliographique de l Enseignement Sup rieur (ABES) - Includes two open access collections:
- The Calames Catalog - online catalog of archives and manuscripts in French Universities and Research Libraries
- Theses - all doctoral dissertations in France since 1985
September 3, 2013
- API A new field ExternalID was added to allow searching the original ID, useful for those querying library catalog records by ID
- Full Text Searching We have increased precision and recall for matching hits in the full text field which also resolves a previously reported issue where a user could find more results for a quoted search when less results is expected
- Summon 2.0: More Details Panel The journal title field was missing from the display
- Summon 2.0: Recommended research guides were missing the author
Newly Indexed Content
- EPO-Espacenet - Espacenet, from the European Patent Organization, includes over 72 million patent documents
- Oxford University Press - British Academy Publications Online in the Oxford University Press collection contains over 350 records.
August 7, 2013
- Summon 2.0 production - this release provides the opportunity to opt-in to begin using the Summon 2.0 interface as your production site. Now available in Summon 2.0 include:
- Streamlined Interface delivers a new, modern look and feel and easier navigation
- Topic Explorer guides users with topical reference content for over 50,000 topics to in English, Chinese and German with other languages coming
- Automated Query Expansion boosts relevance even when users don t know all the right keywords to use
- Recommended Librarians and Research Guides connect users to librarians and library generated resources via the context of their queries
- Newspaper Spotlighting visually distinguishes newspaper articles from the primary research materials
- Image Spotlighting dynamically displays image content with scroll navigation and image previews
- Dynamic Advanced Search form expands to help power researchers perform fielded searching and build complex queries
- Discipline Facet makes it easier to navigate results sets by subject area
- Saved Items Functionality The Saved Items feature includes saving records for the full duration of the users session, exporting records to citation management systems and retrieving formatted citations.
- Catalog Record Page Includes the same level of functionality that has been available to date with Summon.
- Abstracting & Indexing (A&I) Record Page Includes the same level of functionality that has been available to date with Summon.
- Authentication Banner Includes the same level of functionality that has been available to date with Summon.
- Autocomplete Includes the same level of functionality that has been available to date with Summon.
- Page title and Favicon These are now included in Summon 2.0
- Library Location, Institution and Library Catalog filters These are now included in Summon 2.0
July 11, 2013
- Summon 2.0 preview As previously announced this release includes the first opportunity to preview the new Summon 2.0 interface and associated features. You can access the preview site for your library at http://yourlibrary.preview.summon.serialssolutions.com, where "your library" is the same as the URL prefix of your current Summon site.
- API lightweight Response There is a new parameter for the API s.light. This new parameter allows the application to specify a lightweight response as true/false. A light weight response removes commonly unused data such as table of content, multiple abstracts and cited references allowing the response to be more lightweight. More details can be found here: http://api.summon.serialssolutions.com/help/api/search/parameters/light-weight.
- Institution Prioritization for union catalogs For consortium clients with union catalogs or multiple catalogs the display of holdings from other institutions can, in some cases, ignore the priority list. This fix is now complete.
Newly Indexed Content
- BiblioBoards - We have indexed metadata for about 13,600 records from the archival books collections, including: Folks and Americana, Artifacts of History, Spanish Language History and Literature, African American History, Military History, Women's Studies, Biblioboard Core, British Library Module
- British Standards Institute - We have added over 48,000 metadata records, and almost 46,000 PDF from British Standards Institute. British Standards Online (BSOL) is a bibliographic, citation and full-text database of British and adopted European international standards. BSOL provides researchers with the most complete collection of current, draft and withdrawn standards available anywhere
- Chadwyck Healey Annual Register about 250 records
- Chadwyck Healey Colonial State Papers over 45,880 records
- Chadwyck Healey Gerritsen over 18,100 records
- Emerald Books - We have added over 9,450 ebooks from Emerald
- Econis - We have added almost 4,006,000 from the German National Library of Economics collection. ECONIS contains books and journals from the fields of economics, business studies and business practice. In addition, ECONIS lists articles from journals or compilations
- GESIS-SOFIS: GESIS is part of the Leibniz Gesellschaft, a well-established society for Social Sciences in Germany. We have added over 43,110 records from SOFIS, which contains descriptions of planned, on-going and completed (in the last 10 years) research projects from the Federal Republic of Germany, Austria and Switzerland The database has translations of titles, classifications and indexes in English.
- Japan Medical Abstracts Society - Ichushi WEB contains bibliographic information and abstracts of articles in more than 2,400 Japanese journals on medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy from 1987. Major fields covered include physiology, biochemistry, clinical medicine, nursing, and social medicine. There are almost 7,810,000 records
- Oxford University Press - American Dictionary of National Biography Online over 18,800 records
- Oxford University Press - Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Online over 53,000 records
- Oxford University Press - UK Who s Who over 124,350 records
- TannerRitchie Publishing - TannerRitchie Publishing provides an extensive range of rare historical titles used by researchers, historians and genealogists around the world. We have indexed the metadata for 119 titles
- Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN - We have indexed 4,375 Polish e-book records. Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN is one of the largest scientific publishers in Poland and an owner of the digital platform IBUK which serves more than 90 academic universities and public libraries
- US Department of Energy-OSTI: An open access collection that we have indexed over 38,000 records from Green Energy R&D Results
June 19, 2013
- Institution Prioritization For consortium clients, in some cases, display of holdings from other institutions would ignore the priority list. An improvement will be made with this release, but more work is still ongoing to finish this and is scheduled to be completed within the following release.
- Catalog Holdings Display For clients who are using a union catalog in their Summon instance, further work was done to address the de-dupping of holdings display so that the local holding and the holding in the union catalog will not appear as a duplicate holding.
Newly Indexed Content
- Chadwyck-Healey Acta Sanctorum
- Chadwyck-Healey Black Literature Index
- Chadwyck-Healey Documents on British Policy Overseas
- Chadwyck-Healey Luthers Werke
- Chadwyck-Healey MOCAT
- Chadwyck-Healey Paley Center Seminars
- Chadwyck-Healey Policy File
- International Labor Office Catalog - Labordoc includes all publications by the ILO, whether published in electronic or print format, Geneva or in the field, since 1919 and in all languages
- Taylor & Francis Online (Informaworld)
- Mohr Siebeck A German publisher focusing on sustainable publications in the humanities
- LibriVox An open access collection of audio books
- McGraw Hill
- Mathematics in Engineering
- Oxford University Press: Oxford Bibliographies Online - Exclusive, authoritative research guides combining the best features of an annotated bibliography and a high-level encyclopedia, this cutting-edge resource guides researchers to the best available scholarship across a wide variety of subjects.
- Plunkett Research - Industry Profiles
- Purdue University Press
- University of Adelaide Press
- University of Florida Digital Library
- Walter DeGruyter Journals
- Wiley eBooks
- NCB Naturalis Catalog An open access catalog containing holdings of 65,000 books, 8,000 different professional journals and 200,000 papers on zoology and geology
- Research Papers in Economics (RePEc) - An open access collection of over 1500 archives from 76 countries that have contributed about 1.4 million research pieces from 1,700 journals and 3,700 working paper series.
June 3, 2013
- User's Language when linked to 360Link The user's language that was selected in Summon will be included in the OpenURL link to 360Link to ensure that 360Link uses the same language that the user had selected in Summon.
- Catalog Holdings Display For clients who are using a union catalog in their Summon instance, Summon will now de-duplicate the holdings display so that the local holding and the holding in the union catalog will not appear as a duplicate holding.
- StartPage Field The StartPage field is now searchable by using the "StartPage:" notation in a user's query.
May 9, 2013
Newly Indexed Content
- Bloomsbury Qatar: Bloomsbury Qatar is an Arab publisher of 7 open access peer-reviewed journals in medical, health, Islamic studies, engineering, and social sciences. (http://www.bqfp.com.qa/)
- Caspur-Ciber Publishing: Italian publisher, CASPUR-CIBER Publishing, affiliated with the University of Salento, includes indexing of all content, including the scholarly journal Scires-IT (from volume 1 , issue 1) and three monographs. (http://caspur-ciberpublishing.it)
- Hamburg University Press: This content is from the Thesis Server of the State and University Library of Hamburg. It is an Open Access Repository. DBID ~4V. (http://ediss.sub.uni-hamburg.de/)
- Now Publishers Foundations and Trends: Now Books. (http://www.nowpublishers.com/)
- Pennsylvania State University Press: Scholarly journals from PSU Press. (http://www.psupress.org/)
- Rock's Backpages: Rock's Backpages covers five decades of history, over 18,000 articles, interviews, and reviews for modern and contemporary music libraries and cultural studies collections. This resource was awarded Runner-Up in Library Journal's best databases of 2011. DBID A7V. (http://www.rocksbackpages.com/)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics: Contains their entire ebooks collection index at the chapter level. The SIAM e-book library features almost 400 ebooks for applied mathematics and computational science communities. (http://www.siam.org/)
April 18, 2013
Newly Indexed Content
- BTJ - ArtikelS k : ArtikelS k is an A&I database from publisher BTJ in Sweden. This database provides access to over 2 million items from 12 Swedish newspapers and 440 periodicals (http://www.btj.se/).
- Chadwyck-Healey Archive Finder: Archive Finder is a current directory which describes over 220,000 collections of primary source material housed in thousands of repositories across the United States, the United Kingdom and Ireland (http://archives.chadwyck.com/home.do). DBID - 3EF, ACH, AJQ.
- Equinox Publishing Limited: This covers the journal content from Equinox (http://www.equinoxpub.com).
- National Academic Research: NARCIS is the gateway to scholarly information in the Netherlands. NARCIS provides access to scientific information, including (open access) publications from the repositories of all the Dutch universities, KNAW, NWO and a number of research institutes, DANS datasets as well as descriptions of research projects, researchers and research institutes (http://www.narcis.nl/search/Language/EN/coll/publication/pageable/0). DBID - 5DJ, QVL, 5DI.
March 27, 2013
- Widget and Search Box Builder - A link will now appear in the lower right hand corner of the user interface that links to the widget and search box builder page which makes this feature accessible to any user who wishes to create a personally scoped search. For more on this new feature, see:
Newly Indexed Content
- ASM-Medical: ASM is an engineering and scientific society and have provided all resources they make available to academic researchers including ASM Medical Materials Database http://www.asminternational.org/portal/site/www/info/mmdd/
- Enrich Professional: Enrich Professional Publishing (http://www.enrichprofessional.com/) is based out of Hong Kong and specializes in Chinese economics and financial information authored by prominent Chinese officials and academics. They currently have 20+ titles in English and expect to double the number of titles within the next year.
- Gale Archives: This includes the Archives Unbound collection
- Highwire/Duke: Several Highwire packages, including Duke University Press. The packages are: Horticulture, Nuclearmed, Pediatrics, Physiosociety, Rcpsych
- Hong Kong University Press: This is an ebook collection
- Landes Bioscience: We have indexed journal content from Landes Bioscience (http://www.landesbioscience.com/journals/).
- ProQuest A&I Collection - includes nearly 90 A&I resources
- Smithsonian Institution: This includes version 2 of the Smithsonian Institution Biodiversity open access collection
March 8, 2013
- A&I Details Page - This page will now include holdings details for electronic journals that cover the Journal Article begin viewed. This page will also include a warning to signify to the user that they do not have access to the material online.
- Summon API - A new parameter has been created for fetching records by ID. This parameter supports fetching multiple record IDs as well. The new parameter: s.fids and a new command: setFetchIDs()
- Publication Data Histogram - In certain browsers, the date fields below the histogram were not usable.
Newly Indexed Content
- Chongqing VIP Information: Backfile data (before 2011-07-18) for Chongqing VIP Chinese Science and Technology Database. This is China's largest national comprehensive database, covering more than 400 Chinese newspapers, 8,000 Chinese journals and 5,000 foreign journals). There are 19,333,208 records, metadata with full text. Access is through several databases available in the Client Center:
- VIP - (DBID: W91)
- VIP - (DBID: W92)
- VIP - (DBID: W93)
- VIP - (DBID: W94)
- VIP - (DBID: W95)
- Chongqing Weipu (DBID: 2RA)
- VIP - ( ) (DBID:92L)
- VIP - - (DBID: WU4)
- eScholarship@McGill (DBID: .CM)
February 15, 2013
- Summon API - A new field has been added "LinkModel" which will identify which linking model is used for each record. It will be either:
- Searching with numbers - Numerical digits in a user's query had been causing the results to be sorted incorrectly by relevance.
- Boolean Searching - Searches containing boolean operators with a combination of quotes, parenthesis and diacritic characters was causing the search to fail.
Newly Indexed Content
- Chongqing VIP Information - Backfile data (before 2011-07-18) for Chongqing VIP Chinese Science and Technology Database. This is China s largest national comprehensive database, covering more than 400 Chinese newspapers, 8,000 Chinese journals and 5,000 foreign journals). There are 19,333,208 records, metadata with full text. Access is by several DBIDs: W91, W92, W93, W94, W95, 2RA, 92L, WU4.
- Chadwyck Healey BSC Newspapers - Newspapers from the Black Studies Center collection have been added. There are 5,140,385 records, metadata with abstracts. Access is by DBID: -19 and PBS. http://bsc.chadwyck.com/marketing/
- McGill eScholarship - eScholarship@McGill is an OA Ranked collection that includes full text documents of research articles, electronic theses, working papers, conference papers, books and research reports. There are 27,817 records, metadata with abstracts. Access is by DBID: .CM
January 29, 2013
- Exclude Citation Online - With the increase in A&I content being loaded into the Summon index, Summon will now provide the ability for you to opt-out of the display of "Citation Online" records in the search results. We heard from many of you that want to keep Summon focused to Full Text Online and Library Catalog content and are only interested in exposing Citation Online content to users when they check the "Add results beyond your library's collection" option. With this release, the Summon Administration Console will have an option to allow you to exclude these Citation Online records from the search results. Please note: this change will take 24-72 hours to process. Learn about the setting here.
- Word Stemming - Some common proper nouns in the English language that end in 's' or 'es' will not be stemmed with user searches.
- A&I Details Page - The primary (orange) button can now be customized to either point the user to the print journal in the catalog ("Get Journal Article") or to point the user to a request service ("Request"). Changing the primary (orange) button will swap functionality with the secondary (gray) button. Read about the feature here, and learn about settings here.
- A&I Details Page - The page will ensure to show the print access of the journal when available in the "Access this Journal Article in" section as well as link the user to the print edition over the electronic edition.
Newly Indexed Content
- Karolinska Institutet - SveMed +: An A&I database that contains references to articles from hundreds of Scandinavian journals in the disciplines of medicine, dentistry, health care, occupational therapy, nursing and physiotherapy. Almost half of the current journals are peer-reviewed. http://svemedplus.kib.ki.se/Default.aspx?query=SveMed%2B&sengines=on
- IGI Global - Journal Articles. http://www.igi-global.com/journals/
- Thieme Journals - http://www.thieme.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91&Itemid=92
- Science & Technology Facilities Council - Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC) IR - epubs. This is an open access database with full text. http://epubs.stfc.ac.uk/
January 3, 2013
- Administration Console - Syndetics for cover images and Syndetics for enrichment can now be controlled independently within the Admin Console.
- Springshare LibAnswers Chat Integration - UID Field has been removed as it is no longer necessary.
- LibraryH3lp Chat Integration - Status of "chat" will now be seen as "online".
- LibraryH3lp Chat Integration - Fully qualified queue name can now be entered for clients outside of the United States.
Newly Indexed Content
- ASM International - ASM Alloy Phase Diagram Center: this dataset citations and direct links to nearly 35,000 binary and ternary phase diagrams and associated phase data for more than 6200 systems. http://www.asminternational.org/asmenterprise/apd/.
- Chadwyck-Healey - Black Abolitionist Papers: nearly 15,000 primary sources from African Americans actively involved in the movement to end slavery in the United States between 1830 and 1865. http://bap.chadwyck.com/.
- Proquest - HistoryMakers: a digital archive of 100 videos of oral history interviews of contemporary African Americans, produced in partnership with The HistoryMakers (www.thehistorymakers.com), a non-profit organization with the mission of uncovering and preserving the untold stories of America. http://www.proquest.com/en-US/catalogs/databases/detail/historymakers.shtml.
- Books24X7 - all academic collections: over 25,000 books that cover topics in IT/computer science, engineering, technical, business, financial, government, and wellness. http://library.books24x7.com.
December 14, 2012
- Custom Text Editor - Now available via the Summon Administration Console. This new tool will allow you to customize the text used within Summon for each of the 34 languages available.
- Accessibility - User of screen reader technology will now have a link available that allows them to go to the mobile edition of Summon, which can be used more effectively for such users.
- Search Box Builder - You can now specify custom place holder text in the search box.
- Search Box Builder - You can now specify the width of the search box from within the Search Box Builder tool.
- Best Bets - Tags with trailing spaces were not triggering the best bets. These tags will have unnecessary whitespace removed to allow trigger to work correctly.
- Saved Items - Cover images for Books are now displaying correctly in the Saved Items folder
Newly Indexed Content
- Soci t Internationale de Bibliographie Classique - L'Ann e philologique: nearly 740,000 book citations in fields related to the language, literature, history and culture of ancient Greece and Rome. It is the standard bibliographical tool for research in classical studies and it covers 84 years of classical bibliography with volumes 1 (1924-1926) to 80 (2009). The database indexes over 1,500 periodicals , with an additional 500 articles from collections published by the Soci t Internationale de Bibliographie Classique, in collaboration with the French Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) and the American Philological Association (APA). http://www.annee-philologique.com/
- Annenberg Media - Learner.org: a collection of nearly 1800 instructional videos for the professional development of K-12 teachers. Annenberg Learner's multimedia resources help teachers increase their expertise in their fields and assist them in improving their teaching methods. Annenberg will also include guides and textbooks for full text indexing. http://learner.org/
- Chadwyck-Healey - Drama collections (American Drama, English Drama, Twentieth Century Drama): part of the Chadwyck-Healey Literature Online collections that include over 7000 plays for more information about each visit the collections - http://collections.chadwyck.com/home/home_ad.jsp, http://collections.chadwyck.com/home/home_ed.jsp, http://collections.chadwyck.com/home/home_20d.jsp.
November 27, 2012
- 10 results per page - The default number of records per page will be set to 10. This enhancement will be enabled for all Summon sites by default.
- Related Search Suggestions - Summon will now suggest alternate and related queries to the user at the bottom of the search results. This feature will be enabled for all Summon sites.
- Chat Widget - You can now enable the Chat Widget functionality within the Summon interface if you have LibChat from Springshare or LibraryH3lp chat services. Read more .
- Enhanced Database Recommender - Accessible from the Summon Administration Console is the new "Recommender" section that allows editing of the Database Recommendations and Best Bets. Databases can be turned on and off and local tags and community tags can be controlled. Custom database descriptions can be edited from the Data Management tool in the Client Center. Read about the feature , and learn about settings .
- Best Bets - You will now have the ability to create best bets for recommendations of services and items in your library to bring important information to your patrons at the point of need and at the top of the Summon search results. Read more .
- "Items in my institution" Filter - If you have a union catalog included in Summon, a new quick filter will be available to allow your users to narrow the search results down to content that is owned by your institution - effectively excluding the catalog records from all other institutions but still keeping the electronic content in scope. This can be enabled via the Summon Administration Console.
Newly Indexed Content
- Council of Foreign Relations (CFR) - Council on Foreign Relations Publications: Over 24,000 full text documents from CFR reports and books, all CFR.org online documents, and all ForeignAffairs.com content. The CFR is a leading resource on foreign policy topics and publisher of hundreds of expert testimonies, briefs, backgrounders, interviews, reports, and books. http://www.cfr.org/
- MIT Press Journals - Over 25,000 full text journal articles from scholarly journals covering a wide range of disciplines including the arts and humanities, social sciences, and specialized areas of science and technology. http://www.mitpressjournals.org/
- Staats und Universit tsbibliothek Hamburg Carl von Ossietzky - eDoc.ViFaPol - Hamburg University Press's open access full-text server of over 3000 political science and peace studies reports http://edoc.vifapol.de/
- New User Interface Languages - There are two new User Interface langauges available: Catalan and Malay.
- 10 results per page The default number of records per page will be set to 10. Starting with this release you can preview this at http://preview.summon.serialssolutions.com and then with the following release, the feature will be enabled for your Summon site.
- Related Search Suggestions Summon will now suggest alternate and related queries to the user at the bottom of the search results. Starting with this release you can preview this at http://preview.summon.serialssolutions.com and then with the following release, the feature will be enabled for your Summon site.
Newly Indexed Content
- ACM Digital Library - Nearly 270,000 conference proceedings and articles from all ACM titles in the disciplines of computing and technology. http://dl.acm.org.
- Franco Angeli Nearly 3,000 full text journal articles starting in 2009 from Franco Angeli, an Italian publisher of over 80 scholarly journals that support studies in psychology, sociology, architecture, economics and the humanities. http://www.francoangeli.it - these titles make up the majority of Franco Angeli Riviste Online, a product of Casalini Libri.
- HighWire Press - American Physiological Society titles Over 90,000 journal articles from 13 scholarly journals of the American Physiological Society. http://www.the-aps.org/mm/Publications/Journals.
- (Shou Ray Information Service Co., Ltd.) - (Hyweb Technology - HyRead) nearly 150,000 journal articles from Hyweb, online platform providing access to 800 Taiwanese academic full-text journals, eBooks, and conference proceedings via their HyRead Journal Taiwan Full-Text Database. http://www.hyread.com.tw.
- INTELECOM - Intelecom Search Center: Online Resources Network is over 3,000 searchable video clips of classroom and distance learning programs. http://www.intelecomonline.net.
- Libertas Academica - Publisher of 87 peer reviewed medical and scientific journals. Libertas Academica is 81 open access and 6 are pay-per-view or subscription only journals. http://www.la-press.com.
October 9, 2012
- Performance Improvements - Users should now be seeing a 25% improvement in performance as the Summon web page loads in their browser.
- Usability Enhancements - The search box is now in a field set to improve usability with a screen reader technology
- A&I Record Page - Some usability enhancements have been made to this page based on feedback from librarians and users. There is now a button at the top of the page that links the user directly the print journal when available.
- Union Catalog Functionality - Librarians can now prioritize records from a specific institution or library when there are multiple copies of a book from different institutions. This configuration can be done from the Summon Administration Console under the Participant Record Prioritization heading.
- Union Catalog Functionality - Librarians can now whitelist a specific institution and/or a library location to ensure they always appear in the top level facets without having to click "more options" to the see the complete list of institutions. This configuration can be done from the Summon Administration Console under the Facets heading.
- Term Highlighting in Korean - Matches in the search results are now correctly highlighted for Korean records
- Fielded Searching - The Editor field is now searchable
- Request Link for A&I Records - This link is now using an improved OpenURL for greater accuracy
- Summon Mobile - "Full Text Online" is now a link to the full text
- Missing Translations - The Time Period and Region Facets are now translated
- Widgets - The widget builder is now fully functional
- Catalog Record Page - The "Cite This" feature is now showing the correct citation options
Newly Indexed Content
This list contains content that has been loaded into the Summon index since August 27th.
- Begell House - Begell Digital Library (BDL) Engineering Research and Biological Sciences Research Collections. Content includes over 40 scholarly journals, reference titles, conference proceedings and ebooks.
- Chadwyck-Healey - Literature Online poetry collections. Approx. 360,000 full text poems from American Poetry (1600-1900), English Poetry (600-1900), Canadian Poetry, 20th Century African-American Poetry, 20th Century American Poetry. http://lion.chadwyck.co.uk/
- Chadwyck-Healey - Literature Online Reference Collection. 6,600 full text reference and criticism resources. http://lionreference.chadwyck.com/marketing/index.jsp
- Chadwyck-Healey - House of Commons Parliamentary Papers. 65,000 full text government papers that encompass all areas of social, political, economic and foreign policy and are a vital to the historical record of Britain, its former Colonies and the wider world. http://parlipapers.chadwyck.com
- Chadwyk-Healey - Schomburg Studies on the Black Experience. Database of full text journal articles and book chapters that examine interdisciplinary topics on the African experience throughout the Americas. http://ssbe.chadwyck.com/marketing/
- Indiana University Press - thousands of full text book reviews and journal articles from the titles published by Indiana University Press in the disciplines of languages & literatures, women's studies, social sciences and more. http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/
- Naxos Digital Services - Naxos Spoken Word Library. Thousands of audio and music recordings of classic novels, plays and poetry, from medieval times to the twenty-first century under various categories, such as Children's Classics, Classic Fiction, Shakespeare's Plays. http://www.NaxosSpokenWordLibrary.com
- Canadian Science Publishing - NRC Research Press Journals. Abstracts and direct links to over 135,000 journal article and book reviews, the NRC Research Press journals cover a broad range of scientific disciplines with international readership in more than 175 countries. http://www.nrcresearchpress.com
- Open Access Publishing in European Networks (OAPEN) - Directory of Open Access Books. Metadata and abstracts to over 1,000 peer reviewed books from 28 publishers published under an Open Access license. http://www.doabooks.org/
September 18, 2012
- Usability Enhancements - To better support visually impaired users, a number of improvements to the Summon User Interface have been made.
- Facet Headers use HTML header tags
- All icons and icon links have alt text and title text
- The "More " link for the facets have title text
- Field labels in the advanced search form are now associated with their fields
- "Full text online" link to have title text
- Publication Date Histogram to have alt text
- Catalog Detail Page - The call numbers are now included in the availability details of the record
- Advanced Search - Field qualified searches combined with other search terms now works as expected
August 29, 2012
- Chinese Pinyin Search - Chinese titles and authors can now be searched with Pinyin separated with spaces at the character level
- HAN Proxy Support - Summon now supports the use of the HAN proxy server for Direct Linking, Exporting to RefWorks and the Authentication Banner
- Film Icon - Records of content type 'Film' now have an icon in the search results
- Catalog Record Detail Display page - When a catalog record is merged with another catalog record, availability on this page now displays for each item
- Transliterated Author Names - These names now respect the correct order sequence
Newly Indexed Content
- International Monetary Fund - Over 10,400 publications including books and analytical papers, periodicals and reports, and various statistical databases from the International Monetary Fund eLibrary.
- McGrawHill JAMAevidence - Tools for understanding and applying the medical literature and making clinical diagnoses. Includes around 2,000 chapters from 'The Rational Clinical Examination: Evidence-Based Clinical Diagnosis', 'Care at the Close of Life: Evidence and Experience', and 'Users' Guides to the Medical Literature: A Manual for Evidence-Based Clinical Practice'.
- Mergent Online - business research content, including company financials, descriptions, history, property, subsidiaries officers and directors.
- National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) - NBER is the nation's leading nonprofit economic research organization, including thousands of working papers, conference papers and monographs.
- Pew Research Center - Pew Research Center's areas of special concentration are U.S. public opinion, global attitudes, the news media, the impact of the Internet on American life, the role of religion in public life, the changing experiences of Hispanics in America and social and demographic trends. Their resources include major reports on trends in public opinion and related policy issues.
- Polish Interface - The Summon Interface now has been translated into Polish.
- Live Availability - Availability details can now be retrieved via Z39.50 or NCIP if the ILS supports these protocols.
- Chinese Search - Updated the Chinese name dictionary to include 1.5 million names.
- Live Availability with Merged Catalog Records When two or more catalog records have merged together, each record now shows the appropriate live availability details.
Newly Indexed Content
- S. Karger AG - Hundreds of medical, scientific and biomedical scholarly books and journals 2010-present
- Metapress Woodhead Publishing Limited - Thousands of book chapters from Woodhead Publishing in Engineering, Diet and Clinical Nutrition, Materials and more
- World Bank Papers - 3500 papers from the World Bank e-Library and Open Knowledge Repository on the topics of Finance, Education, Development and more
- Multi-Science Publishing - Thousands of journal articles from journals in the disciplines of Engineering, Geology, Architecture
- ShipIndex.org - Ship Index, a database of over 500K citations of vessels mentioned in specific books, journals, websites, databases, CD-ROMs and more
July 19, 2012
- Autocomplete - A new and improved autocomplete that brings in suggested searches as the user types based on data from the Summon Unified Index to help lead to more accurate suggestions. More details on this enhancement will be available in a future email.
- Catalog Record Detail Display page - Publication title of each Book Review is now included in the Book Review lists
- RSS Feed - XML output has been enhanced to ensure articles identifiers persist to allow RSS reader to track what has been clicked and what has not.
Newly Indexed Content
- Association for Computing - ACM Digital Library includes over 14,000 journal articles and conference proceedings in the disciplines of computing and technology
- AsiaWorld Digital Technology L & B Digital Library - Approximately 100,000 ebooks from 225 publishers covering medicine, technology, mathematics, physics, languages, literature, arts and humanities.
- ASM International Failure Analysis Center - Online database of over 1,000 case histories dealing with materials failures from leading journals and technical reports
- ASM International Micrograph Center - Online database of more than 3,500 micrographs
- eArticle - Over 600 humanities and social science journals from Korean provider Haksulkyoyukwon
- Hamburg University Press Programm - Books and conference proceedings
- BIBSYS Ask - 2.3 M records from union catalog of Norwegian libraries
June 26, 2012
- Search Box and Widget Builder You can now specify if the results should open in a new tab/window or stay within the current tab/window.
- Phrase search - Verbatim matches for phrases within double quotes will now get a higher boost than those same phrases without the quotes.
- Chinese search - Personal and organization name search improved with new dictionary that includes a half million Chinese names, Japanese surnames, and Chinese university names.
- Boolean search - Multiple improvements to Boolean queries. They now generally make use of the same Summon relevancy algorithm as a non-Boolean query, even when parentheses are used.
- ISBN Searching ISBN numbers with an X at the end no longer causes a search error.
- Search Box Builder - Creating sticky search boxes is now keeping refinements sticky.
Newly Indexed Content
- Hispanic American Periodicals Index (HAPI Online) from UCLA, nearly 300,000 journal article citations about Central America, South America, the Caribbean, Mexico, Brazil, and Hispanics/Latinos in the United States.
- Intellect Ltd. Over 5000 journal articles covering, Visual Arts, Film Studies, Cultural & Media Studies and the Performing Arts.
- International Developmental Research Center (IDRC) Digital Library Open Access collection that provides the international research community with access to a current and comprehensive collection of nearly 50,000 records back to 1970 about a wide range of subjects. https://idl-bnc.idrc.ca/dspace/.
- University of Waterloo UWSpace Open access collection that includes over 5000 electronic theses and dissertations across primarily engineering but also health sciences, arts, environment, mathematics and the sciences. http://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/.
June 20, 2012
- Catalog Detail Display Pages The new Catalog Detail Display Pages provide libraries with an opportunity to provide a more seamless user experience for the display of catalog record details within the Summon environment. This allows users to view more details beyond what is displayed in the current pop-up preview window for catalog items.
- Metadata Mapping Tool The Metadata Mapping page provides a real-time view of the current mappings of your local MARC collection(s) available in your Summon service. Should there be a desire to modify MARC mappings, administrators can download a copy of the current mappings as an Excel spreadsheet for convenient offline editing.
- Display of 880 Catalog Record Fields for non-Latin Data Summon now displays 880 Catalog Record Fields for non-Latin Data. The Summon service indexes non-Latin data in the 880 field and displays the data in parentheses next to the transliterated form allowing researches to search and view the native language of such works.
June 14, 2012
- New Abstracting & Indexing Display Functionality and Content we have be added new A&I database content to the Summon service index and introducing a new display functionality for A&I records. Citation-only content from ERIC (Education Resources Information Center), HAPI (Hispanic American Periodicals Index), MLA (Modern Language Association) and Web of Science will now be discoverable and displayed with a new Citation Detail display page. More A&I content will follow in the coming months.
For records that are marked as Citation Online and within your library's holdings, the link from the Summon results page will take the user to a Citation Detail page within the Summon User Interface.
June 7, 2012
- Saved Items Email The link for the Saved Items Email is now using the correct Summon encoded link
- ISBN Searching You can now search for ISBN numbers with or without the hyphens
- Chinese Searching Improvement on word segmentation when searching for Chinese personal names
- Stemming Multiple enhancements to stemming logic and process, including updating exceptions and using dictionary-based stemming for short nouns and adjectives in Spanish.
- Widgets Pre-scoping a widget to a publication date range has been resolved
May 15, 2012
- Book Review Icon - Records of content type "Book Review" will have a new icon.
- Thai Search Native search functionality has been created for searching in Thai.
- Arabic Search Native relevancy functionality has been created for searching in Arabic.
- Malay Search Native relevancy functionality has been created for searching in Malay.
- Korean Search Improved stemming and relevancy ranking in Korean to improve search precision.
- Relevancy based on UI language There are now 5 languages that will have increased relevancy ranking based on the selection of the User Interface language: Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, German.
- Author Searching Author matches are now correctly ranked in the search results.
April 17, 2012
- Save & Preview Item Icons - A new design for this will be introduced. Instead of these icons being hidden until the user's mouse hovers over a record, the icons will always be visible. This change is based on results of usability study analysis as well as client and user feedback.
- Saved Items Timeout - Many had reported timeout issues of saved items expiring after 20 minutes of the item being saved. An issue was found detecting user activity and has been resolved. Saved items will remain as long as the user's browser is open and will remain for up to 20 minutes after the browser is closed.
- Different result ordering with the same search Many had reported an issue with the order and number of results changing for the same search within a short period of time. An issue causing this behavior was identified and has been resolved.
- Syndetics Table of Contents The display of the Table of Contents from the Syndetics Service has been restored.
- Searching in Chinese, Japanese or Korean Words from these languages were being evaluated in the wrong language and has been resolved.
- Internationalization of Stop words Stop words from different languages imposed confusing results based on the use of certain stop words. For example, a search that started with the nickname "Al" was returning spanish content. This solution will increase search precision in these cases.
Newly Indexed Content
- Department of Energy Patents - DOepatents is the U.S. Department of Energy's central collection of patent information, where research and development intersect with innovation and invention.
- Department of Energy Citations Database (ECD) - provides free access to over 450,000 electronic documents and citations, primarily from 1943 forward. Citations and documents are made publicly available by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
- HighWire Pharmacology and Microbiology titles - more than 45,000 journal articles from HighWire publications in the pharmacy, therapeutics, & pharmacology, biology and medicine disciplines.
- Oxford Medical Online - online counterpart to hundreds of full-text books and nearly 6,000 book chapters.
- Freedonia Group - Focus reports that cover eighteen industry categories through over 700 concise market research reports.
March 27, 2012
- Direct Linking - Records from the IEEE/IET Electronic Library (IEL) Proceedings By Volume database now use direct linking
- Accessibility The Summon UI now uses heading elements to better support accessibility guidelines
- User Survey - A new pop-up user survey has been added that will help better gauge how users are using the service and help drive the future of the Summon service. Survey information and choosing to make it available/not available to your users is in the .
- Summon API - The score field was missing from some records. It will now be available with every result. Please take note, the score field can and will vary from search to search dramatically and should not be relied on as such.
- Summon API - The snippets were incorrectly shortened to 160 characters including the snippet highlighting code. The snippet is now set to 160 characters ignoring the highlighting code.
Newly Indexed Content
- Henry Stewart Talks over 2000 online video seminars by leading world experts from the Biomedical & Life Sciences, and Marketing & Management disciplines.
- HighWire 300,000 journal articles in medicine, biology, agriculture, anatomy, public health and more.
- Bavarian Library Network (Bibliotheksverbund Bayern - BVB) - Union catalogue of the BVB contains more than 20 million entries with holdings records of the scientific libraries joined and more than 49 million articles.
- Bjzhongke a Chinese mirror site for ProQuest Dissertations & Theses content.
- World Book Online three new encyclopedia collections (World Book Online Info Finder, World Book Advanced, World Book Online Reference Center).
March 22, 2012
Many of you have noticed that the real time availability for catalog records has been either slow or unresponsive over the past few days. We are aware of the issue and actively working through it to provide a resolution as quickly as possible. At 11pm PDT on Thursday, March 22, a patch was released to the production environment which has shown an increase in performance. We will be working through additional enhancements to the service throughout next week to increase the stability of the real time availability service. For background on RTA, click .
March 1, 2012
- Performance - Summon response times have been enhanced on average by about .5 seconds
- - You can now choose whether or not to keep a search "sticky" by determining if "Keep search refinements" should be the default or not
- Music Recording Icon - The Music Recording content type now has the Music icon
- Skip Navigation - Added hidden "skip navigation" elements for users of screen readers
- - The s.fq parameter is now working as documented
- - Your logo is now displayed on the initial page
Newly Indexed Content
- - over 82,000 encyclopedia entries form Britannica Academic Edition, Britannica School Edition (as High School), and Britannia Public Library Edition.
- Korean Studies Information Company (KISS) - Over 1 Million journal articles in the subjects of technology, social science, medicine, economics, engineering, education, philosophy, and history.
- Now Publishers -Foundations and Trends business and technology monographic serials
- Duncker & Humblot - full text scholarly articles that cover law, political sciences, economics and social sciences, history, literature and philosophy.
- Highwire - Nearly 80,000 more journal articles from Highwire covering medicine, biology, anatomy and physiology and more.
February 13, 2012
- -Scoped Searching and
- Chinese Non-White-Spaced Words: Words in Chinese that do not have white space to separate the words had been turned into phrases when used in searches. Now these words are AND'd together.
- Known-Item Searching: Searching for a title with both the title and subtitle together will now be higher in the result list.
- for Encyclopedia Britannica content
- LibGuides Thumbnails: The thumbnail images for LibGuides will now have the correct sizing.
Newly Indexed Content
- J-STAGE: Academic Journals from Japan Science and Technology Agency
- KAMJE: Korean Association of Medical Journal Editors
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery: A leading peer-reviewed journal for orthopedic surgeons and researchers
- ASM Handbooks Online Database: Over 25,000 pages of articles, illustrations, tables, graphs, specifications and practical examples, peer-reviewed information on ferrous and non-ferrous metals and materials technology.
- German Institute of Global and Area Studies (GIGA): NGO based in Germany that offers condensed analyses on topical political, economic or social subjects for a German speaking public. It covers four scholarly journals, working papers, yearbooks, and global-focus reports.
- Music in Art: Published by Research Center for Music Iconography of the City University of New York Graduate School, includes original articles on music iconography and the relationship between music and art.
- Alfred Wegener Institute ePrints: Over 25,000 open-access journal articles, conference proceedings, and dissertations from the open access repository ePIC (electronic Publication Information Center) of Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, a non-profit, federally funded research center of Helmholtz Association in Germany.
- SSOAR: Social Science Open Access Repository is a project of the German Research Foundation. It provides free access to over 19,000 full-text journal articles and preprints.
- Chongqing VIP Chinese Science and Technology Database: China's largest national comprehensive database covering more than 400 Chinese newspapers, 8,000 Chinese journals and 5,000 foreign journals totaling nearly two million documents.
Jan. 17, 2012
We now include native-language search for Danish, Swedish, and Turkish. Native-language search includes:
- Stemmers, which return results for variations of the stem word
- Decompounding,which searches compound words by their decompounded word forms
- Stop words in native languages to enhance searching.
- Higher relevancy ranking when searching using the native characters and a lower ranking for the alternate letter form
Danish-Language Search - Additional characters / , / , and / can be searched by alternate forms Ae/ae, Oe/oe or O/o, and Aa/aa or A/a, respectively. The ampersand symbol (&) will also match the Danish word "og."
Swedish-Language Search - Additional characters / , / , and / can be searched by alternate forms A/a, A/a and O/o, respectively. Summon also now supports abbreviations commonly found in the Swedish language such as c:a (cirka), g:a (gamla), and m1:a (f rsta). The ampersand symbol (&) will also match the Swedish word "och."
Turkish-Language Search - Additional characters / , / , I/ , /i, / , / , and / can be searched by alternate forms C/c, G/g, I/i, I/i, O/o, S/s, and U/u, respectively. Summon search supports alternate forms of a word including forms such as " stanbul'da," which means "in Istanbul.".The ampersand symbol (&) will also match the Turkish word "ve."
- Direct linking for Chinese content from Oriprobe has been repaired.
Newly Indexed Content
- ScienceDirect - All journals are now completely indexed at the full-text level.
- Nature Precedings - Pre-publication research, preliminary findings, and documents relating to data sharing and research standards
- Future Medicine - Objective and authoritative information on medical advances in the post-genomic era, delivering concise, forward-looking perspectives on the scientific, clinical, economic and policy issues that confront us in modern healthcare
- Grove Music - The authority on all music aspects worldwide
- AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics) - Conference Proceedings from more than 170 conferences
Dec. 21, 2011 release
Enhancements and New Features:
ISSN and ISBN searches work with or without hyphens in both Advanced and Fielded searches.
Stemming and Language
- Improved English stemming and plurals: Results for "theses" now returns both "thesis" and "theses".
- Greek derived nouns: Similar rules were added for many nouns with plural -es suffixes such as "crisis" and "crises".
- Superscript and Subscript: Both subscript (C4 ) and superscript (O2 ) are supported. Searches for "9th" and "9th" will both return results.
Ampersand symbol (&) in search:Is equated with the appropriate word for "and" in all supported except Korean, Japanese, and Chinese where it is not necessary. In German "&" is treated as "UND".
Boolean searches in German language UI: With the German UI selected, words "UND", "ODER", and "NICHT" act as alternatives to AND, OR, and NOT. The English operators will continue to work in the German UI.
New Summon API Parameter: The s.l parameter allows the user interface to inform the API which language is being used, this allows the search engine to improve language based relevancy.
Curly Quotes Now Supported: Using curly quotes in quoted searches are now supported.
Newly Indexed Content
- DataCite - The German National Library's Metadata Store of datasets and associated DOIs
- C.H. Beck Journals - The publishing house has two main divisions: Legal - Tax - Business and Literature - Nonfiction - Science
Policy Press - Ebooks that cover contemporary social issues
Dec. 5, 2011 Release Summary
Resource-Link Prioritization for IEDL allows you to control the prioritization of your direct linking sources on the . For priorities to apply, you must have rights in multiple databases that offer direct linking.
- Unordered providers will be used in random order and include all providers that have direct linking
- Ordered providers will be used in priority order if there is a tie.
Configure Proxy for RefWorks Exporting:The allows you the configuration option to enable or disable proxying RefWorks Exporting. If your RefWorks URL is different than the default URL, you supply your custom Refworks URL.
WCAG 2.0 AA Compliance: We have completed the Phase 1 project toward compliance of the WCAG 2.0 AA accessibility guidelines and continue to work toward full compliance in the future iterations.
Ampersand symbol in search: The ampersand symbol (&) will be treated the same as "and" in the English language and "y" or "e" in the Spanish and Portuguese languages.
API role parameter: The s.role parameter in the Summon API now defaults to 'none' - rather than defaulting to 'authenticated'. This requires the UI developer to determine user eligibility for content viewing only for authenticated users.
Newly Indexed Content
- HighWire Press Biochemistry Journals
- Rittenhouse Book Distributors - Hong Kong University Press - a collection of ebooks focused on cultural studies, film and media studies, Chinese history and culture
- Hong Kong University Press - a collection of ebooks focused on cultural studies, film and media studies, Chinese history and culture
Hoovers - reports containing profiles of more than 40,000 companies, 600 industries, and 225,000 key executives
Index Enhanced Direct Linking
As of the 2.0.10 release on Nov. 15, the Summon service includes Index-Enhanced Direct Linking (IEDL) to make the end-to-end discovery to delivery experience more reliable and rewarding for end users.
Since its inception, the Summon service has been about more than just discovering relevant content. Access-getting to the actual content-is a critical component of the process. Until now, the Summon service has relied on direct links and enhancing OpenURL outbound links to connect users to content.
Now, Serials Solutions introduces a new linking technology-Index-Enhanced Direct Linking. This new technology leverages publisher provided information in the Summon index along with the Serials Solutions knowledgebase in order to enable users to click-through directly to more full text content than previously possible with OpenURL linking alone. This advancement offers the reliability of direct linking coupled with the intelligence of appropriate copy selection and Serials Solutions' rights-based holdings information for your library.
With Index-Enhanced Direct linking, users will be able to link directly from the Summon service to targets from more than representing hundreds of millions of journal articles, e-books, digital collections and other content. Currently, Summon uses direct links only for unique content hosted on a single platform-mainly content types not supported by OpenURL linking such as audio recordings from Naxos Music Library or video recordings from Alexander Street Press. With this release, the Summon service will greatly expand the number of direct linking targets-including content subscribed to from more than one source. Libraries will be able to prioritize preferred link targets for content from providers participating in Index-Enhanced Direct Linking, just as libraries prioritize preferred link targets in an OpenURL link resolver.
What does my library need to do to take advantage of this new technology?
- If your library uses the Summon hosted user interface, the new functionality is completely enabled with the release and no administrative action is required to enable it.
- If your library uses the Summon API, you will need to migrate to a new version of the API in order to benefit from this new linking technology. The current version of the API will continue to be supported in order to give your library time to make the migration.
- Your library should also make certain your proxy configuration files include the domains for the direct links, see Support Center for more information.
- You will want to define the prioritization of the Direct Linking sources, more information on this will be available closer to the release date.
- In the near future, we will make click-through reports available for index-enhanced direct links. Libraries will need to include these reports in their normal workflow for evaluating resource usage. The click-through reports will also be used to inform improvements to the Summon service.
- Additional FAQ's may be found .
The Summon service will continue to utilize OpenURL and your link resolver for connecting users to full text from content providers or content sources that are not yet available with direct linking.
With this first release of Index-Enhanced Direct Linking, there will be on average a 20% increase in search results from the Summon service linking directly to full text-evidence of cases where direct links represent the most reliable linking path for the target content. As more content providers work with Serials Solutions to enable direct linking, they will be added to the list of .
We are excited to deliver Index-Enhanced Direct Linking to advance the quality of linking as it relates to the end-to-end user experience with the Summon service. This new technology will greatly reduce link failure points and ensure that the Summon service fulfills its promise of not only helping users to discover, but to get to content-ultimately meeting user expectations.
Nov. 15, 2011, Release Summary
Index Enhanced Direct Linking (IEDL) is a new technology that leverages publisher-provided information in the Summon index along with Serials Solutions' 360 KB knowledgebase. IEDL enables users to click-through directly to more full-text content than previously possible with OpenURL linking alone.
- If your library has not migrated to new ProQuest platform in the ProQuest Admin Console, direct links go to the legacy platform. Read more about .
- If your library has migrated to the new ProQuest platform in the ProQuest Admin Console, direct links go to the new platform.
- To get IEDL via the API, your library must switch to the new API.
- The old API will continue to work after release, but without IEDL capabilities.
Google Analytics can be enabled via the Administration Console and tracks your Summon instance. A Google Analytics account and code is required prior to enabling this feature.
API Features: Database Recommender and User Role have been added to the Summon service API:
- Database Recommender allows the maximum number of recommendations to be configurable via a new parameter "s.mr".
- User Role allows the control of authenticated users vs. unauthenticated users via the "s.role" parameter.
Language Numeric Groupings: Commas replace periods in numeric groupings in English-AU, English-UK, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese.
RefWorks: Exporting capabilities to RefWorks for off-campus users is fully functional.
Newly Indexed Content
- Credo Reference Related Entries - millions of cross-reference links that span the entire Credo collection
- Grey House Publishing - over 80 titles of directories and reference works
- HighWire Press BioScientifica - journals and books from the Society of Endocrinology
- Princeton University Press - e-book collection from the Princeton University Press
- OnePetro - a broad range of technical literature related to the oil and gas exploration and production industry
- Thieme Medical Publishers - e-book collection from this international scientific and medical publisher
- Date Created: 24-Nov-2014
- Last Edited Date: 4-Aug-2016
- Old Article Number: 11644