- Article Type: General
- Product: Voyager
- Product Version: 9.0.0 and higher
Desired Outcome Goal
Delete empty bib and holdings records using Pick and Scan
Pick and Scan is available in the Voyager Cataloging and Circulation clients. Item records must be present in the bibliographic, holdings, item record hierarchy in order to use Pick and Scan. Electronic resources lacking item records should be deleted or suppressed using another tool.
- Batch or individually deletes item, empty holdings, and empty bibliographic records together through one process.
- Batch or individually changes the OPAC suppress flag on holdings or bibliographic records.
- Locally logs OCLC numbers for deleted and suppressed bibliographic records during a job if this function is selected.
- Files of under 500 barcodes or item ids run best for batch deletes. Larger files tend to cause the system to progressively slow. Support recommends splitting up larger files into several jobs.
- Pick and Scan requires item records to be present in a bibliographic, holdings, item record hierarchy in order to process any jobs.
- In order to batch delete or change the OPAC suppress flag within the Cataloging client: The operator must be associated with a System Administration – Security – Cataloging Profile that allows the deletion of bibliographic, holding, and item records.
- In order to batch delete or suppress records from the Circulation client: The operator must be associated with a System Administration – Security – Circulation Profile that allows the deletion of bibliographic, holding, and item records.
Recommendations to Consider
- When batch deleting records, it is safest to run jobs from a file of barcodes or item ids using the perform changes against “this item only” option selected.
- Set up or review the Logs tab settings ahead of any job. Check that the Log Folder is pointing to a real path on your computer or local server or no logs will be saved. The default setting is not a real path.
- Complete a test run using Preview mode prior to selecting Update Database.
- Review the logs for any pending circulation transactions, linked POs, or reserve items.
To delete empty bibs and holdings using Pick and Scan:
- In either Circulation or Cataloging, open Pick and Scan and select the "Changes To Make" tab
- Check the box to delete Item and click "Yes" on the confirmation message that opens
- Check the box to delete Empty holdings
- Check the box to delete Empty bibs
- Select the "Records To Change" tab
- Select the radio button for "Update Database" or "Preview" as appropriate
- Enter the record identifiers for the records to be deleted
- Review the logs to confirm that records were deleted
Only bibs and holdings that have items attached can be deleted using Pick and Scan.
In the "Records To Change" tab, "Perform changes against" is used for specifying how you want to perform the item changes. The default setting of "This item only" isolates the changes to the specific item and its associated records.
Running a keyword regen is not required when deleting records using Pick and Scan.
NOTE: Voyager will block records from being deleted if linked purchase orders are present, items are on reserve, or if items have active circulation transactions. You will need to deal with those titles individually. See: Deleting item records in Voyager
- Article last edited: 02-Feb-2020