- Product: Voyager
- Product Version: 8
- Relevant for Installation Type: Multi-Tenant Direct, Dedicated-Direct, Local, TotalCare
How do I install the Voyager clients (Cataloging, Circulation, Prepackaged Access Reports, etc.) on a Windows 7 (or higher) Professional/Business/Enterprise 32 or 64 bit staff PC?
Note the Voyager clients are not compatible with Windows Home edition, only with Windows Professional and higher.
If you are updating your existing clients with a new version (as in the case of a server upgrade) you do not need to uninstall the existing clients. Simply download the new installation file that matches your new version of Voyager and follow the following instructions.
1. Save off any files you want to retain from your previous client installation (Voyager.ini, tag tables, Cataloging record templates, etc. – please see this Article for help: https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Voyager/Knowledge_Articles/Which_files_should_I_preserve_when_installing_new_clients%3F)
2. When you are ready to begin, do a full restart of your PC and then log into it as an account with administrative privileges.
3. Download the appropriate VoyagerInstall.exe installation file for your version of Voyager (Download the file from: https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Voyager/Implementation_Guides) to a folder on the local machine (NOT a shared drive, your documents folder or your desktop) – for example save it to C:\temp
4. Right-click on the VoyagerInstall.exe installation file that you saved and select “Run as Administrator” to install the clients (if you do not see the "Run as Administrator" option, STOP. You are not logged in with administrative privileges).
5. Result: The Windows Installer extracts the necessary files and displays the setup Welcome dialog box
6. Read the setup Welcome info, and click Next when you are ready
7. Result: The User Information dialog box opens
8. Enter Name, Organization and select whichever is appropriate (if you do not see the “Anyone” option, STOP. You are not logged in with administrative privileges):
a. Anyone who uses this computer (any user that logs on to this machine can access the clients – preferred)
b. Only for me (only your user can log on to this machine and access the clients)
9. Click Next
10. Result: The Destination Folder dialog box opens
11. Identify the desired Destination Folder (preferred location and default is C:\Voyager; if required, navigate to the correct local destination folder – do not install on a shared drive)
12. Click Next
13. Result: The directory into which the clients are installed is defined and the Select Installation Type dialog box opens
14. Select the radio button that corresponds with the type of installation you want to proceed with:
a. Typical (LIMITED installation will install only Acquisitions, Circulation and Cataloging; does not install System Administration.
b. Complete (FULL installation will install all Voyager clients – preferred)
c. Custom (you select which specific Voyager clients to install)
15. Result: The Ready to install the Application dialog box opens, warning the user that files may be overwritten; this is fine if you backed up any necessary configuration files in the pre-installation step (see Step 1)
16. Click Next
17. Result: The installation begins; be patient as this can take several minutes. When the installation is complete, a dialog box displays indicating the build has been successfully installed.
18. Click Finish to exit the installation program
19. If you saved your Voyager.ini file as per Step 1, copy your saved file over the default "generic" file placed in C:\Voyager by the update process.
20. If you didn't save off the Voyager.ini file as described in Step 1, go to C:\Voyager (or whatever installation path you selected in Step 11 above), edit the Voyager.ini file to include appropriate server and port information (please see this Article: https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Voyager/Knowledge_Articles/What_goes_in_voyager.ini_file%3F)
Once the installation is completed successfully, "normal" Windows users (Windows users without power user or administrative rights) should be able to run the modules.
Remember that some client settings are stored on the server via configuring them in the SYSADMIN client, but others are associated with Windows Registry settings. Registry settings are not version-specific and stay intact from release to release (so when you update the clients as per this article, they will remain the same). For additional information see: Which Voyager Circulation preferences reset upon logout, or persist until changed?
See the Technical User's Guide Chapter 4 for more detailed instructions, including screenshots.
You do not need to install the ODBC drivers (Oracle Client) to run the Voyager clients.
If you need to uninstall the Voyager clients, please see: How to re-install Voyager clients.
- Article last edited: 17-Dec-2019