Welcome to the Leganto new user experience!
How to access the new UI
When you are ready to completely switch to the new UI, go to Configuration > Leganto > General > Settings and change the parameter leganto_new_ui to true. This will change all links to Leganto to use the new UI for all users.
While you are testing the new UI, there are a few different options for accessing it on a per session, per link, or per user basis. This video will show you a few of the options. They are described in more detail below.
1. Modify Leganto URL
After logging into Leganto, modify the Leganto URL by changing the word "readinglist" to “nui”:
2. Browser bookmark toggle
- Create a new bookmark in your browser, to anything
- Edit the bookmark
- Change the name e.g. "UI change"
- Edit the link, then replace the existing URL with the following:
When you are logged into Leganto you can click on the bookmark to open the new UI in a new tab. If in the new UI, click on the bookmark to open the classic UI in a new tab.
Many thanks to our early adopters group for developing this bookmark!
3. Modify shareable link:
You can add to any Leganto sharable link the following parameter: &nui=true
4. Configure per user
You can configure that specific users be redirected to the new interface by default. In Configuration > Leganto > General > Settings > new_ui_tester_usernames, add the user identifiers, separated by commas. Primary and non primary identifiers are supported. Each username configured will be redirected to the new interface by default in all cases, including when starting from the LMS.
New enhancements added in the new UI
While developing the new UI, we added additional enhancements based on feedback we have received from our customers, including via Ideas Exchange, the product working group, support tickets, the listserv, and conversations with customers. The new UI includes the following new features and enhancements:
- Formatting in notes for students (bold, italic, underline and URLs).
- Favorites (formerly My collection) now includes inventory from the brief view, add to list options from list menu and bulk actions, and Quick Cite feature.
- When adding items to a list, option to also add to favorites.
- Number of loans added to analytics reports.
- Analytics reports now have export option.
- When uploading a file, file upload copyright option can require instructor input. Previously, a default was selected.
- Filter reading lists by citation status.
Features which are not available
Some features from the classic UI were removed from the new UI. You can view a list here: Leganto New UI: Not planned to be supported
Some features will be in the new UI but have not been developed yet. You can view a list here: Leganto New UI Known Issues
There are many new and updated labels, as well as many labels which were not changed. If you previously customized labels which were not changed in the new UI, the labels were copied to the new UI. You may want to review your customized labels to ensure they are still appropriate in the new UI.
To customize labels in the new UI go to Configuration > Leganto > General > Labels – New UI
You should be aware of the following label changes:
- My collection has been renamed Favorites
- The citation statuses that instructors see have been changed:
- Citations that have been added but not sent to the library have the status of Draft
- Citations that have been sent to the library but are not complete have the status of Library processing
- Complete citations will have the status of Complete
Most of the changes made to the new UI are small and should not require configuration changes. However, there are two bigger workflows changes. For more information about these changes and the options available, view the recording and slides from the New workflows in the new user experience webinar.
"My list is ready" workflow
The Publish/Send actions have been combined into a single button for instructors. Before the list is published, the instructor will see a banner letting them know that students cannot view the list.
You can configure which workflow for publishing and sending the list to the library best fits your needs.
- The instructor sends the list to the library. The library reviews and publishes the list. Instructors do not have permission to publish lists.
- The instructor sends the list to the library with the option to either publish the list now or later. Either the library or the instructor can publish the list. This is the default.
- The instructor publishes the list, and the list is automatically sent to the library at the same time.
- All lists created in the Leganto UI are published by default. The list is published immediately after it is created, and the items are automatically sent to the library for review.
For all options, any citations added to the list once the list has been published will be automatically sent to the library.
Review the three options to determine which is the best fit for your library. If needed, change the setting in the parameter instructor_publishing_options (Configuration > Leganto > List Management > Settings) to 1, 2, or 3. The default is 2.
If you prefer to have lists published by default, set the parameter auto_publish_on_create (Configuration > Leganto > List Management > Publishing) to Yes.
Advanced publishing options:
We removed the option to have advanced publishing options display to instructors.
The library can still configure:
- Which publishing option will be the default
- Whether the three options above will display to instructors or if all lists will be published using the default option
- Whether access to materials (files, etc.) will be restricted for lists published to All students at the institution and Anyone
The library also has the option to publish lists using any of the existing visibility options using Alma.
We did not change any of the existing settings, other than removing the option for instructors to see the advanced publishing options. You should not need to make changes.
Duplicate and rollover lists
The instructor rollover and duplicate list options have been combined into a single “Duplicate list” function.
From a Leganto list:
When enabled, instructors will have the option to Duplicate list from the list menu.
There is now the option to add a course association as the list is created/duplicated. If the new copy is linked to a course, and if you have enabled that instructors can customize what will happen with the sharable links (in the instructor rollover options table), a new configuration will appear: “Do you want sharable links to the original list to redirect to the duplicated list one it is published?” The tooltip includes additional guidance.
The instructor can also expand the Advanced settings section to view and/or change any of the default settings the library has enabled in the instructor rollover configuration. Note that the library will see all options, but instructors will only see the ones which have been enabled for instructor view.
From the Quick Start screen:
When the instructor begins in the LMS, they will see a new version of the quick start screen. If you have enabled instructor rollover from the quick start screen, there will be the option to Create a list from an existing reading list.
When the instructor clicks the Select existing list button, they see a list of all their existing reading lists. They also have the option to search for lists.
For any reading list, the instructor has the option to duplicate the list, which will copy the list and link it to the course.
If the instructor is an owner or collaborator on a list, they will also have a new option to link the course to that list, which will link the current course to the existing copy of the list, adding a new/additional course association.
- Out of the box, Leganto will add the text (Rolled Over) to the end of the reading list name when it is duplicated. You can change the label, for example, to (2) or the year. Go to Configuration > Leganto > General > Labels New UI and customize the label duplicateList.addRolledOverToTitle
- We recommend you review the instructor rollover settings. You can configure the default options, as well as which settings display to instructors. We recommend you do not expose any options related to statuses (copyright, list, or citation) or internal library information, keeping the options as simple as possible for instructors.
- If you have not enabled the duplicate option from the Leganto list menu, you can enable in Configuration > Leganto > UI > List menu, duplicate
- If your instructors have been previously trained to rollover lists and will be looking for the term "rollover", we recommend changing the label. Go to: Configuration > Leganto > General > Labels New UI and customize the label list.menu.duplicate_list.
- If you have not enabled instructor rollover from the quick start menu, we recommend adding it so instructors will see the option to reuse an existing list. In the LTI Settings table (Configuration > Leganto > LTI > Settings) set the parameter cms_entry_actions to all or include the value rollover. This parameter accepts multiple values, separated by commas.
For more information about the new UI, see:
For additional questions, or to share you feedback with the Leganto product team, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The IGeLU Working Group has created a video showcase for switching to the new UI. It features short 5-20 minute videos from community members, sharing insights into their preparation for the transition. If you would like to contribute please reach out to the IGeLU working group at email@example.com. You don’t have to have already implemented the new UI to contribute.