What information should be provided when requesting a Voyager software upgrade or a server move?
- Product: Voyager
- Relevant for Installation Type: Local
What information should be provided when requesting a Voyager software upgrade or a server move (i.e., "server migration") for a locally hosted site? If your server is hosted by Ex Libris, simply open a ticket to let Support know that you wish to upgrade.
In both instances, begin by opening a Case and state the work needed (Upgrade, Server Move, or both), providing the information outlined in the following sections as appropriate.
Refer to the Installation and Upgrade Requirements document for operating system requirements (under Voyager > Implementation Guides > [version]) - if your server is not running an OS version that meets requirements for the version you are upgrading to, and/or it does not meet the hardware requirements, you will need to migrate your Voyager installation to a new server running a compatible OS. In that case, please also provide answers to the Server move questions below.
To request Ex Libris perform a Voyager software upgrade (the cost of this procedure is included in your annual maintenance fee), provide the following information:
- Can you confirm that you are upgrading the software on the same server the current version resides on? (i.e., no hardware change)
- What is the current version of the software?
- What is the OS and version of the environment?
- Are you requesting Ex Libris perform the upgrade?
- What dates would you prefer to upgrade?
- Fill out and attach to the Case the Installation Request Form
Upgrades and migrations almost always start on Monday and are typically scheduled for two days (Monday-Tuesday). They are not done on weekends nor during weeks with holidays to ensure that the highest quality of work possible is provided. While two days are scheduled, often times only one day is required.
A server move/data move (i.e., migrating a Voyager installation to new hardware) is work that Ex Libris needs to do and will provide a quote for. Once a quote has been signed and returned, the project can be scheduled. Please provide the following information so that we can create an accurate quote and plan for scheduling:
- What is the OS and version of source (current) environment?
What is the OS and version of target (future) environment?
- Is there an existing test server that also will be migrated?
- Will there be additional data copy work requested? (from production to a test environment, for example)
- Is source environment all-in-one or multi-server?
- Is target environment all-in-one or multi-server?
- What method is available to Ex Libris to connect to impacted environments to perform the work?
- Will the Voyager software also be upgraded?
- Do you want Ex Libris to perform the upgrade?
- What is the current version of Voyager?
- How many production database instances are involved? Please list the name of each xxxdb.
- What is the database size (# bibs)?
- Can you confirm which Voyager extension modules you have for each?
- Are there preferred timeframes for this work to be performed?
- To whom should your Account Manager provide the completed quote?
After your quote is generated, signed and returned complete this step:
- Fill out and attach to the ticket the Installation Request Form
For migrations and some upgrades, root access is required; be sure this is configured and available to the engineer. For migrations your IT must install the base OS and set up the environment on the new server to the point that our engineers can log in.
Resources and FAQs for Voyager Upgrades
Resources and FAQs for Voyager Server Migrations
What is process for upgrading skin directories?
Installation and Upgrade Requirements
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a Voyager upgrade cost?
What to expect during a Voyager migration?
What to expect during a Voyager upgrade?
If you are requesting a new Test Server environment, see: Voyager Test Server
- Article last edited: 27-Oct-2020