Configuring Viewer Services
- General System Administrator
- Fulfillment Administrator
Out of the box, Alma supports the following digital viewers:
Alma Viewer – Alma’s default viewer uses the browser’s HTML5 players, which are capable of displaying any format that is natively supported by the browser (such as various video, audio, and image formats). For other formats, it provides a download option.
- Universal Viewer – This type of viewer is based on IIIF (International Image Interoperability Framework) and provides advanced capabilities for viewing high-resolution images for tiff, jpeg, and jpeg2000 formats (such as rotate and zoom-in/zoom-out actions).
- Internet Archive Book reader – This type of viewer is based on IIIF and provides capabilities for viewing images. In addition, it allows users to perform text searches in digital files when a full text file is uploaded to Alma.
Configuring the Service Availability Rules for a Viewer
You can configure the service availability rules for a viewer.
- Select Edit for a viewer and select the Service Availability Rules tab.
Service Availability Rules
- Select Add Rule. The following appears:
Add Service Availability Rule
- Enter a name and description.
- In the Input Parameters section, select Add Parameter. The following appears:
- Select a name, operator, and value, and select Add parameter.
- In the Output Parameters section, select True or False from the Display drop-down list to determine if the viewer is displayed when the rule is true or when it is false.
- Select Save.
Configuring the Alma Viewer
You can configure the Alma Viewer.
Select Edit for the Alma Viewer and select the Service Details tab.
- Hide Repeated Labels – display repeated labels in a list under the label.
If you enter a delimiter in the Delimiter for Grouping Repeated Delivery Metadata field located at Configuration > Fulfillment > Discovery Interface Display Logic > Other Settings, this field does not appear. To have it appear, you must remove the delimiter. For more information, see Configuring Other Settings.
- Use New Viewer – display digital resources using the New Alma Viewer.
- Hide Fulltext – Hide the display of full text in the New Alma viewer.
Customizing the Alma Viewer Using Primo Studio
You can customize the Alma Viewer using Primo Studio.
- Select Edit for the Alma Viewer and select the Customization tab.
- Select a Primo View and a Representation ID to use as an example when configuring the viewer.
- Select Generate Link. The Open Primo Studio link appears.
Customize the Alma Viewer using Primo Studio
- Select Open Primo Studio to open Primo Studio and customize the viewer.
For more information on using Primo Studio, see Using Primo Studio.
Configuring the Universal Viewer to Display the Download Original File Icon
You can configure the Universal Viewer to display the Download Original File icon.
- Select Edit for the Universal Viewer and select the Service Details tab.
Universal Viewer Service Details
- Select the Display Original Image Download Link to display the Download Original File icon in the Universal Viewer.
Configuring the Default Display of the Internet Archive Book Reader
You can configure the default display of the Internet Archive Book Reader.
- Select Edit for the Internet Archive Book Reader.
- From the Default Display drop-down list, select one of the following options:
- Thumbnail view
Include Representation Services Statistics in Analytics
Enable Delivery Login
Configure Maximum Number of Representations in ViewIt/Primo
Configure Order of View It Services
Configure How Representations are Grouped in ViewIt/Primo
- Viewer – representations are grouped by viewer
- Representation – representations are listed separately with the available viewers for each representation.
Configure a Delimiter for Grouping Delivery Metadata with Repeated Labels
If you enter a delimiter in the Delimiter for Grouping Repeated Delivery Metadata field, the Hide Repeated Labels checkbox for the Alma Viewer in Configuration > Fulfillment > Discovery Interface Display Logic > Viewer Services > Alma Viewer does not appear. To have it appear, you must remove the delimiter. For more information, see Configuring Digital File Viewer Services.
Use Primo VE Metadata Fields for Delivery
When this check box is selected, the method used to configure metadata for Primo VE replaces the Alma method, and the following options are disabled:
The Delimiter for Grouping Repeated Delivery Metadata field on this page is disabled.
The Delivery Profiles Metadata page (Configuration > Fulfillment > Delivery Profiles Metadata) is hidden. For more information on this method, see Configuring Delivery Profiles Metadata.
Display Collection Path in Viewer
Select the Display Collection Path in Viewer checkbox to display the collection path at the bottom of the Descriptive Information pane for all viewers. Selecting the path opens Primo’s collection page in a new tab.
Using Standard Identifiers
- OCLC Unique Number
- Other System Number