- Ex Libris ODBC installation package (Oracle10g_ODBC_Win7-10.zip - Download via FTP from downloads.exlibrisgroup.com)
Download this client and not any other Oracle ODBC client package. Support can troubleshoot the Ex Libris ODBC installation package only.
- 32-bit MS Access 2003 or greater (No 64-bit). To determine your Access version:
- Open MS Access > File > Account > click About Access
- Box will pop up; note version at top of box.
- Administrator privileges on PC
- tnsnames.ora template (See attached)
Follow all of the steps below.
- Completely remove any Oracle 10g Client which was installed previously. Any subsequent versions of Oracle Client (e.g. Oracle 11g) should also be uninstalled if possible, to aid in preventing any complications.
- From Ex Libris ODBC installation package, run setup.exe
- Click "Next."
- Select "Administrator" as the installation type, and click "Next"
- At Available Product Components, click "Next"
- At Product-Specific Prerequisite Checks", click the check box next to any errors and select "Yes" in any "Warning" dialogs.
- At "Summary select "Install", installation will run for a few minutes.
- At "Oracle Net Configuration Assistant" select "Perform Typical Configuration" and click "Next". And click Next on the following screen.
- Once the installation has completed Click "Finish" -> "Exit" -> "Yes"
- Open the attached tnsnames.ora template in a plain-text text editor (e.g. Notepad)
- In tnsnames.ora replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with the IP or host name of the Voyager server.
- Copy the configured tnsnames.ora file to C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client\network\ADMIN\
- Check permissions on tnsnames.ora to ensure "Full Control" is granted to "Authenticated Users"
- Locate and run the file odbcad32.exe as administrator(Right Click -> 'Run as Administrator'):
- 64-bit Windows: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
- 32-bit Windows: C:\Windows\System32\obdcad32.exe
- Select the "System DSN" tab and select "Add."
- Select the driver "Microsoft ODBC for Oracle."
- Enter the following values:
Data Source Name: VGER
Username: ro_xxxdb (Replace 'xxxdb' with the db name of the voyager instance)
- Click 'OK' to close odbcad32.exe
- Open Reports.mdb from C:\Voyager\Access Reports\
- Select "External Data" from the MS-Access Ribbon and click "ODBC Database"
- Select "Link to the data source by creating a linked table."
- Select the "Machine Data Source".
- Select "VGER" and click "OK."
- Enter the following values and click "OK":
User Name: ro_xxxdb (Replace 'xxxdb' with the db name of the voyager instance"
- Click "Deselect All", and click "OK."
- Locate the navigation pane on the left hand side of the screen in MS-Access. At the top of the navigation pane select the drop down menu, and change the selection to "Forms".
- Open "Build Database Links to Voyager" form.
- Enter the following values and select "Connect"(Replace 'xxxdb' with the db name of the Voyager instance):
ODBC Name: VGER
Connect String: VGER
DB User ID: ro_xxxdb
If this is unsuccessful, capitalize the Tablespace name and re-try this step.
- If successful results will appear as below. Otherwise, if failures occur, double-check the configuration and permission of tnsnames.ora, and the configuration of the DSN. For further assistance open a support case with Voyager support.
- Article last edited: 07-Nov-2018