To configure physical locations, you must have one of the following roles:
- General System Administrator
- Fulfillment Administrator
A physical location (that is, a location, shelving location, or holding) is a physical place where items are stored. A physical location is associated with a library, not the institution. For more information on the relationship between institutions, libraries (organization units), and physical locations, see Configuring the Institution and Its Libraries. Note that physical locations may be located off-site in a remote location. For details, see Configuring Remote Storage Facilities.
You configure physical locations from the Physical Location List page (Configuration Menu > Fulfillment > Locations > Physical Locations) or (General System Administrator only) Configuration Menu > General > Locations > Physical Locations).
Physical Locations List Page
Ensure that you are within the context of the library whose physical locations you want to configure by selecting the required library from the Configuring filter on the Fulfillment Configuration page.
The following actions can be performed on this page:
A location cannot be deleted if there is inventory associated with it (there are items with that location code). You must move the items to another location before you delete the location.
You can add a physical location.
To add a physical location:
- On the Physical Locations List page (Configuration Menu > Fulfillment > Locations > Physical Locations), click Add Location. A dialog box appears.
Add Location Dialog Box
- Enter the location code (up to 10 characters, no commas allowed) and name, which are both required fields, as well as the external location name, if applicable.
- From the Location type list, select the type of the location. Distinguishing between different types of locations enables you to filter by location type on the Physical Locations List page. Items in unavailable locations are considered unavailable when calculating display logic rules and the display of services in Primo. Otherwise, this field has no functional significance.
- Open – A location that can be accessed by patrons, who can remove an item from the location and then check out the item.
- Closed – A location that is accessible by library personnel only and is not accessible to patrons.
- Remote Storage – A remote storage location, which is similar to a closed location, except that it is located off-site. Retrieving of an item from a remote storage location may take longer than retrieving an item from a regular closed location.
- Unavailable – A location from which items are considered unavailable for calculating the general electronic services in Primo.
- If the location has a remote storage facility, from the Remote storage list, select a remote storage option for the location. Note that a location of any type may be associated with a remote storage facility.
- From the Fulfillment unit list, select a fulfillment unit for the location. The fulfillment unit defines the policy rule to be applied when circulating items from this location. For details, see Physical Fulfillment.
- From the Call number type list, select a call number type for the location. A call number is a group of numbers and/or letters that indicate where in the library a specific book can be found.
- Specify the URL of a map that can assist patrons in finding the location.
- Click Add Location to add the location.
You can edit a physical location.
To edit physical location information:
- On the Physical Locations List page (Configuration Menu > Fulfillment > Locations > Physical Locations), select Edit in the row actions list for a location.
- On the Edit Physical Location page, in the Physical Location Details section, edit the location information as required. For information on this page, see Adding a Physical Location:.
- In the Physical Location Circulation Desks List section:
- To create a new circulation desk and associate it with the physical location, click Attach New Circulation Desk. For additional information, see Adding a Circulation Desk.
- To associate an existing circulation desk with the physical location, select the circulation desk from the drop down list, select the services provided by the circulation desk to the physical location, and click Attach Existing Circulation Desk. For additional information, see Adding a Circulation Desk.
- In the Holdings Configurations section:
In Accession placement, select the MARC subfield that you want to use for the accession number. Your options are:
By selecting a value from the drop-down list, you make the accession number field mandatory when creating a holdings record and cause this subfield to be indexed and thereby searchable in the repository.
- Piece designation (852 $$p)
- Call number (852 $$h)
- Shelving location (852 $$j)
- None (the default option)
- In the Call number type, select the method in which the call number is generated.
- Select Suppress from discovery to suppress the publishing of items in this location to the discovery interface (Primo or Libraries Australia). Note that if the suppressed item is the only item linked to the title, the title will be suppressed provided the suppressBibWithSuppressedHol parameter (see Configuring Other Settings (Resource Management)) is set to true.
- Click Save to store the changes you made to the physical location.
If the external location name has been changed, a set of physical titles related to this location must be republished.