- Project Curator
- Project Manager
This page describes working with projects in the Esploro Research Hub. For information on configuring projects in the Research Hub see here . For configuring projects on the Research Portal see here. For adding and editing projects in a profile see here.
For a video on working with projects see here.
The Projects feature is for Esploro Advanced Edition customers.
Projects allow researchers to store and manage research projects conducted in their institution. Projects are usually ongoing and can be related to other entities in Esploro, such as assets. By adding projects to Esploro, you can enrich the research information available for display and reporting and provide a wider and more comprehensive picture of the research done in the institution.
Projects can be associated with organization units and researchers in the institution and display on the researcher profiles. In future releases, projects will be able to be associated also with assets, grants, and other projects to provide an even more detailed picture of the research project and the research done at the institution.
Managing the List of Projects
To display the list of projects in your institution, select Research Management > Projects > Manage Projects. The following page is displayed:
The page is divided into three sections. In the left pane are the facets that you can use to filter the display of projects. In the center pane is a list of the institution's projects along with basic information about the project such as the project's ID, Name, Start Date, End Date, and the number of members and member organizations associated with the project. Select a project to display the project's complete information in the right pane.
The right pane displays the following information concerning the project. For each type of information, you can click the Add link to add additional items to that group. Select an item to edit it. You can configure the some of the values that can be added to the different groups. For more information, see Configuring Projects.
- Project Details – the basic details of the project, such as Project Name, Project ID, and Project Status
- Attributes – a list of elements associated with the project
- Member Researchers – the researchers that are members of the project. You can search the list of researchers to add affiliated member researchers or add non-affiliated member researchers. The following information can be added:
- Name – when adding a non-affiliated member researchers, enter the researcher's name
- Affiliation – when adding member researchers, enter the researcher's affiliation
- Role – select the researcher’s role in the project from the list of roles
- Start Date – enter the date the researcher member started being a member in the project
- End Date – enter the date the researcher member ended being a member in the project
- Position - the position of the researcher such as administrator, contractor, etc.
For non affiliated researchers, additional information can be added such as middle name, suffix and ORCID.
- Member Organizations – organizations associated with the project. These can be dragged and dropped to change the order. The following information can be added:
- Role – Sponsoring or Participating
- Dates – important dates relating to the project such as submission date, funding date, and expected start date
- Files – upload files relating to the project by selecting or dragging and dropping the file. The file type, name, size, access rights and date created are displayed
The file access rights apply to the public display of the project.
- Subjects – subject headings associated with the project.
- Keywords – free text keywords associated with the project
- Links - add links to projects. To display which fields will display in the Links section, select the gear icon. The following information can be displayed:
- Content type
The Access rights policy for links applies to the researcher portal and profile, in the same way as for files.
- Description - add descriptions to the General, Methods and Objectives sections of the project
- Additional Fields - add additional fields to the project (see Configuring Project Local Field Names)
- Additional Identifiers - add additional identifiers to the project
Displaying Projects in Researcher Profiles and the Research Portal
You can define a project to appear in the profile of a researcher who is a member of that project. To do this, select Project Visibility Settings from the Project Details section. The following appears:
To allow the project to appear in the profile of researchers who are members of the project, move the Profile Visibility slider to the right.
If a researcher selects the Make public button on the project form in the profile, the Portal visibility setting will be enabled.
Adding New Projects
You can add a new project to the list of projects.
- Select Add Project. The following appears:
- Fill in the fields and click Save.
The project is added to the list of projects. You can then edit the project and continue to add more information.
Projects are searchable with the persistent search box located at the top of every Esploro page. For more information, see Searching in Esploro.
- Select the project from the list. The details window for that project appears.
- To edit the summary, select the edit icon.
- Update the details and Save.
- In the Approve Project for section you can edit the visibility of the project on the portal and profile.
- To add data to other sections, select the + icon next to the relevant section.
Adding Asset Relationships to Projects
Relate assets to projects to connect the project to relevant output, for example, publications, datasets, creative works, etc.
- In the Sections list for a project, select the + icon for Related Assets.
- In the Related Assets section, select Add Related Asset.
- Select an asset and then select Save.
- You can add multiple asset(s) by selecting Add Related Asset to add another asset.
Adding Grant Relationships to Projects
You can connect grants to projects as shown below.
- In the Sections drop down list for a project, select the + icon for Related Grants.
- In the Related Grants section, select Add Related Grant.
- Select a grant (we recommend to search using grant name or ID) and then select Save.
- You can add multiple grant(s) by selecting Add Related Grant to add another grant.
Controlling Display and Deletion of Relationships
- Hover over the relationship and select the Edit Relationship icon.
- Mark the Display in Public View checkbox to make this relationship visible in the Profile in the Projects section. Relationships only appear if the project is enabled for display (see Editing Projects).
- Select Delete to delete the relationship. This deletes the relationship - not the entity (such as asset or grant).
- Select the Delete button in the project summary.
- You can also delete the project from the Delete button in the project details window.
Hiding and Reordering Project Information
For hiding and displaying project information see Hiding and Reordering Information for Research Management.