To scan a barcode, you must have the following role:
- Requests Operator
The item’s barcode is entered at each location it encounters in the request process. You can enter the barcode manually or use a scanning wand to read the barcode electronically. Alternatively, you can enter part of the resource title name, and the system suggests the remainder of the title.
After an item is scanned, in-house loan/usage information appears in the following ways:
- Analytics reports
- On the History tab of the Physical Item Editor page, select Fulfillment activities (see Physical Item Editor Page - History Tab table)
- In the item’s Info pop-up window (from the search results of a repository search)
For detailed information on in-house loans, see In-House Use and Alma Analytics Reports for In-House Use.
The fields on the Scan In Items page vary depending on the configuration parameters that are set.
Receiving resource sharing items at a desk other than a resource sharing desk may affect the due date and renewals. It is recommended that all receiving and shipping for resource sharing items be done only from the Receiving and Shipping interfaces.
The Scan In interface has an option to turn on a pop-up window that informs the user that the item is a resource sharing item and that the receiving or shipping interfaces should be used. If a scanned item requires shipping or receiving for resource sharing borrowing or lending request, an error message is displayed that may be overridden. The block option is controlled by a customer parameter,rs_allow_actions_on_scan_in.
For a borrowing request, the message is, “Receiving is required to be done from the dedicated screen.” For a lending request, the message is, "Shipping is required to be done from the dedicated screen.”
The message can be overridden and the operation will take place in the scan-in interface. If the block is overridden, the following actions take place:
- The borrowing request status is updated to ‘Received by Library’.
- The Receive ISO message is sent.
- The temporary item is updated as if the receive screen was used without the due date.
- Fees are calculated.
When accessing the Scan In interface from a resource sharing library, there are two links for the shipping and receiving interfaces.
To scan an item:
- On the Scan In Items page (Acquisitions > Post Receiving Processing > Scan In Items or Fulfillment > Resource Requests > Scan In Items), enter the barcode with a wand or manually by either entering it in the Scan item barcode field or clicking the Browse icon to search for a barcode. The fields on this page are described in the following table.
Scan In Items Fields Field Description Place directly on hold shelf Select from the following:
This field appears only when the Has hold shelf processing option is selected when configuring a circulation desk (see Configuring Circulation Desks).Items designated for Hold Shelf Processing are nevertheless displayed as On Hold Shelf on the Resource Request Monitoring page (see Managing Requests and Work Orders).To change the status of a hold shelf processing or hold shelf item, scan the item a second time and modify the value of this field, as required.
- Yes – The item is placed directly on the hold shelf. An On Hold Shelf letter is sent to the patron, indicating that the item is ready for pickup at the hold shelf (see Configuring Alma Letters).
- No – The item not yet ready for the hold shelf and is designated for hold shelf processing (that is, preparing the item for the hold shelf, such as checking the item’s condition). After hold shelf processing is complete, scan the item into the relevant circulation desk. The item is placed on the circulation desk’s hold shelf, and an On Hold Shelf letter is sent to the patron, indicating that the item is ready for pickup at the hold shelf (see Configuring Alma Letters).
Automatically print slip The method for printing the slip:
This controls the printing of the resource request slip, not the transit slip. If the wanded in item has more than one request, then setting this attribute to Yes will cause Alma to automatically select the request that will be fulfilled by the item, as per the requests’ priority and the time it was submitted. If this attribute is set to No, then the system will respond with the message, More than one request found for entered item, please enter request ID.
- No – Manual selection is required (default).
- Yes – If multiple requests match the scanned item, one is activated automatically.
Register in-house use Whether to register a new in-house use indication when scanning an item. When the box is selected, the Number of In-House Uses value in the More Info pop-up window updates after scanning an item. (The More Info pop-up window appears when clicking More Info on the Repository Search page.)If there is a pending request for an item, no in-house use is registered when this check box is selected.Clear the check box to ensure that scanning an item does not create a new in-house use indication. When this box is cleared, the Number of In-House Uses value in the More Info pop-up window remains the same after scanning an item.This field appears only when the Set status to field does not appear on the page. Work order type Work order type for the item being scanned. This field appears only when configuring a circulation desk associated with work orders (a circulation desk associated with work order types is selected in the Currently at: field at the top of the page). External identifier Whether an identifier, such as a name or an email address, exists for the item in an external system (Select No or Yes). Displayed only when working at a Resource Sharing library. Set status to The material status (from a list predefined by an administrator).Note the following:
- This field appears only when the current desk/department is set to a work order department or a circulation desk defined as a work order department, and does not display when the Register in-house use field appears.
- If this field does not appear, statuses are set automatically.
- Values appear in this field only when statuses are configured as work order type statuses on the General Configuration menu. To add statuses, contact your administrator.
Done Save the value entered in the Set status to field.
This field appears only when the current desk/department is set to a work order department or a circulation desk defined as a work order department.
- No – The item is not complete and remains in its current stage in the workflow.
- Yes – The item is complete and proceeds to the next stage in the workflow.
Scan item barcode (Required) The barcode of the item. You can enter part of the barcode and press the down arrow on your keyboard to select from a list of options that match your entry. When you click the Browse icon, the Repository Search page opens. Perform a search in the repository, select the item you want, and click Select.Receiving multiple items using the scanning interface is not currently supported when shared barcodes are used. Create item Enables creating a new item, which is entered in the repository and can then be searched for from the Scan item barcode field.When clicking this, the Choose Holding Type pop-up window opens. Select the holding type and, where relevant, the citation type, and click Choose. The Quick Cataloging page opens, where you configure resource and item information and click Save.After completing this process, an Acquisition Technical Services work order is created for the item (the default work order type). For an in-depth overview of work orders, see Fulfillment - Conservation Laboratory Work Orders. Scan request ID If there are multiple requests that may be fulfilled by the item, and the Automatically print slip option was not selected, enter the request identification number that was created when a request was submitted, and click OK.If only one item fulfills the request, you can scan in the request identification number, and the item barcode is not needed. If there are multiple copies of the item, you must enter both the barcode and scan request ID.The item details appear in the Scanned In Items table.The following is an example of the Scan In Items page after scanning in a barcode or request ID.Scanned In Items PageA description of the Scanned In Items columns is provided in the following table. Scanned In Items Columns Column Description Activated No longer in use. Title The title of the identified resource. Destination The library or location to which the item is to be sent. Possible values are:
- <Library Name>
- Reshelve To <location name>
- Manage Locally – Indicates that the item has been scanned in at a Work Order department, and has to be processed there
- Digitize – For resource sharing and digitzation requests
- Document Delivery – For resource sharing and digitzation requests
- Deposit – For resource sharing and digitzation requests
- <Partner Name and Request Number> – For resource sharing requests
Barcode The barcode of the identified resource. Request Type The reason that the item is being sent. Requester The name of the requester. Requester ID The preferred user identifier, as defined in User Management Configuration (see Configuring Other Settings). This column displays a value only for patron-driven requests.If a value was not configured for this field for a patron-driven request, the user name is displayed. Place in Queue A number which is a link to the queue of requests for the scanned-in item. Checked In A yellow check markblue slider indicates that the scanned item has a loan attached to it.To remove all the items in the table, click Clear List.The item continues its processing according to the Request Type:
- Acquisition technical services – The item is to be processed after the receiving process (Copy cataloging, Physical processing, Temporary storage) is complete.
- Move permanently or Move temporarily – The item is sent to a different location in the institution (see Moving Items).
- Patron physical item request – The item is sent to the active hold shelf at a circulation desk (see Managing the Hold Shelf). An email is sent to the patron to pick up the requested item at the circulation hold desk.
- Patron digitization request – The item is sent to the digitization department (see Digitization Processing).
- Restore – The item is restored from its temporary location to its permanent location.
Select an option from the Actions menurow actions list:
- Print slip – Print a call slip for the item that can subsequently be attached to the item by the Requests Operator.
- Work order – Create a request (see Creating a Request from the Institution).
- Cancel request – Open the Confirm Request Cancelation page, where you select a reason for cancelation from the Cancelation reason drop-down box and click Confirm.
- Click Exit to return to the Alma home page, or click Go To Manage Department Items to open the Items in Department page (see Managing Receiving Department Tasks).
You can also open the Items in Department page by pressing Alt + Ctrl + M on your keyboard.
If a physical item is requested by a patron, an email is sent to the patron to pick up the item at the requested circulation hold desk.
To change item information:
- On the Scan In Items page (Fulfillment > Resource Requests > Scan In Items), click the Change Item Information tab.
- Change the information as needed. The fields on this page are described in the following table.
Change Item Information Fields Field Description Place directly on hold shelf Select from the following:
This field appears only when the Has hold shelf processing option is selected when configuring a circulation desk (see Configuring Circulation Desks).Items designated for Hold Shelf Processing nevertheless appear as On Hold Shelf on the Resource Request Monitoring page (see Managing Requests and Work Orders).To change the status of a Hold Shelf Processing or Hold Shelf item, scan the item a second time and modify the value of this field, as required.
- Yes – The item is to be placed directly on the hold shelf. An On Hold Shelf letter is sent to the patron, indicating that the item is ready for pickup at the hold shelf (see Configuring Alma Letters).
- No – The item not yet ready for the hold shelf and is to be designated for Hold Shelf Processing. After Hold Shelf Processing is complete, scan the item into the relevant circulation desk. The item is placed on the circulation desk’s hold shelf, and an On Hold Shelf letter is sent to the patron, indicating that the item is ready for pickup at the hold shelf (see Configuring Alma Letters).
Change type Select a different type of request (from a list predefined by an administrator). You can select from:
Location Select another library location (from a list predefined by an administrator) in which you want to place the item. Call number type Select a different call number type for the location. A call number is a group of numbers and/or letters that indicate where in the library a specific book can be found.You can select from a list defined by the administrator. Available options include:
- Library of Congress classification
- Dewey Decimal classification
- National Library of Medicine classification
- Other scheme
Reading list Click Browse to open the Reading Lists Task List page and select another predefined reading list with which to associate the item (see Managing Reading Lists). New Barcode Enter a new barcode for the item. Scan item barcode (Required) Enter a different item barcode. When you enter part of the barcode and click Browse , the system suggests items that satisfy your entry. Select the item you want, and click OK. Check requests Select to indicate that changes made to the Location and Item policy fields generate a confirmation message during the current session.When the check box is selected and an item has requests, a confirmation message appears when these fields are modified.When the check box is not selected, no confirmation message appears when these fields are modified. Update RFID This check box is displayed when RFID is enabled and active. Select this check box to write the information on this page to the RFID chip on the item. The items that will be updated are Location, Call Number, Item Policy and Barcode.If the RFID update is unsuccessful, a pop-up will be displayed to try again.The setting on this check box will be remembered for the next use.For more information, see RFID Support. Due back Click in the field to open the Calendar dialog box and specify a different date for the item to be returned.When a due back date arrives, an automatic job picks up items shelved at temporary locations and places a restore request on them. This triggers a process that moves the items back to their permanent location. (Note that at this stage, the descriptive record may be suppressed from publishing or deleted.) For details on this job, see Viewing Restore Request Jobs. Item policy Select another type of library policy that the item uses (from a list predefined by an administrator). Select None to remove the value previously selected. Call number Enter another library classification number that identifies the item.
In the Scan In Items area, click OK. The Scanned In Items area displays the type of request in the Change type field.Scan In Items Page – Changed InformationFor a description of the Destination column values, see the Destination entry in Scanned In Items Columns.To create a print slip for the item that can subsequently be attached to the item by the Requests Operator, select Actions > Print slip from the row actions list.To create a request for the item, select Actions > Work order from the row actions list (see Creating a Request).
When an item undergoes a change by Change item information and a new holdings record is created, the old holdings record will be deleted if no other items are attached to it.